Friday, January 6, 2012

I Am Sad About Church These Days

Today I have been reading some articles printed in various church magazines and newspapers.  It seems that we are going through a time as God's people once again where we feel we have to show how much like the rest of the world we can be.  The "logic" is that we will draw more newcomers if we become more like people outside of the church, become more relevant with our music and sermons and programmes, and let go of teachings like the virgin birth and such that make Jesus unique.  My question is:  if we continue to become more like the rest of our post-Judeo/Christian society what reason will anyone have to join us?  Why would anyone start attending church when they are all ready part of communities and groups that are culturally relevant?  Why would they need to add Jesus into an all ready comfortable, self gratifying, self confirming lifestyle and community?  What happens then to those who do NOT find secular life to be fulfilling and the ultimate truthful lifestyle?  Why is it deemed wrong to continue to consider Jesus unique and necessary for life here on earth and in the future?  If Jesus is watered down to be simply a good teacher, or an all accepting nice guy who may or may not be more attuned to God than I can be on my own, what would I possibly need him for?  The church historically has thrived because of its very differences from the rest of the world.  Maybe as God's people  what we need to do is not worry so much about cultural relevance and just start loving our neighbours and families with the love of God.  The Bible lays out many details on what that means and how to accomplish it.  That kind of love coming from my peers is what won me over to wanting to know Jesus and follow God.  I got used to the cheesy worship choruses because they were sung to honor that God.  I learned how to sit still for an hour and listen to good biblical teaching.  I learned how to understand some ancient spiritual concepts that were very new to me. But mostly I learned how to be accepted as I was and then loved into changing more fully into who God intends me to be.  Are we complicating ways to help people come to know God?  Are we making things too difficult for ourselves and worrying too much about being relevant?  Are we using our programmes to deflect ourselves from having to be sacrificially giving and loving in order to show Jesus to the world around us?  I am not sure, but I am wondering..........

1 comment:

Leah said...

I am sad, too.