Thursday, May 10, 2012

Dealiing With Unwanted Mailings

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail from the head office of a popular magazine.  I was glad to receive it, but rather annoyed and embarrassed as to why the letter had been necessary.

In January I received a copy of the magazine along with a bill for a year's subscription.  Since I hadn't subscribed to the magazine I was a bit confused.  I wracked my brain to think of when I might have had some form of communication with this publication and came up blank.  I know I am old, but I am not yet at the stage of sending off subscription requests to magazines I wouldn't even keep in the bathroom for a cheap read!

The magazine arrived nicely wrapped in plastic so I bundled it up in a new envelope without opening the wrapping and returned it and the bill, along with a note to say a mistake had been made.  I use the word "mistake" lightly as it is more likely my name was taken off a mailing list in hopes I would feel forced to pay the bill and subscribe.

Whatever really happened I don't know, but it took me nearly a half hour of internet time to locate an address to return these things.  This is a popular magazine so I was surprised at the difficulty in locating a snail mail address of any kind.

Stupidly I thought that would be the end of it.  2 weeks later the next copy of the magazine arrived.  I paid out another rather expensive amount to return it, along with a copy of the letter I had sent previously.  Over the next 6 weeks this happened 2 more times.

I decided if I was to continue to return an entire year's subscription for this magazine I would end up spending nearly twice the subscription cost mailing the magazines back unopened.  So I sent my 4th copy of the letter along with the unopened magazine, but on the bottom of the letter I hand wrote a short sentence that if I received any more copies of the magazine or any more bills then the subscription department would be speaking to my legal representation.

I popped it into the mail only 2 weeks ago.  All ready yesterday I received an apologetic response from the head office of the magazine with an assurance that the mistake was entirely their own (ya' think??) and that I would receive no more communications from them.  

It is nice to know I won't be spending any more money on postage and that I don't have this hanging over my head any more, but I hate having to make threats in order to deal with an unwanted situation.   

It makes me feel as slimy as the people who started this in the first place.  Ugh!  

No comments: