Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Weeds Are Sprayed At Last

So happy to report that the yellow carpet of dandelions has been sprayed well this morning.  I woke up early to calm air and sunshine so out I went. The back area was all sprayed prior to breakfast.

Then the nozzle on the sprayer seized up and so I will have to wait to do the front yard next week after Dell has time to fix the nozzle and the predicted weekend rain is over.  That means I can get one more cut in this afternoon on the front lawn.

Although he loves me dearly and will fix the nozzle on the weekend,  I found out that my husband has a deep seated belief that I should not be spraying toxic chemicals onto the weeds and killing them.  Ideally I agree with his ode to the environment.  However we are living in the church rectory, are surrounded by neighbours who do spray and who, along with our congregants, will not remotely appreciate our gift of dandelion seeds that will cover the town if we let them continue to grow in such massive bunches.  I understand that by mowing more often we can keep the seeds to a minimum, but since the topsoil on the front lawn is decimated if we don't get rid of the weeds that is all that will grow out there.  The bit of grass still clinging on needs all the assistance it can get.  The church needs a new roof more than the rectory needs to have all the lawn torn up and completely redone this year.

So we have a big disagreement on how to handle noxious weeds and toxic chemicals, my husband and me.  So, um, haven't had the heart to let him know the first half hour outside was spent spraying along the alleyway and the side of the garage with a chemical that is non-descriminatory and will kill absolutely everything.

Oopsie....my bad......

3 comments:

chris e. said...

Try a spray bottle of vinegar. You can put a shot of dish detergent into it and it will adhere to the leaves better. It will knock out a dandelion for about half the summer. As long as you bag, you won't be spreading seeds. If you spray with 24D (weed 'n' feed) the plant will die, but the dandelion seeds will still be viable. The vinegar kills pretty well indiscriminately, so you have to be careful where you spray it. Nitrogen fertilizer will help keep dandelions down as they prefer low nitrogen soil.

Susan said...

Thanks for your good advice on a non-toxic spray! I appreciate it a lot and Dell will be ecstatic. Of course it never once occurred to me to look for a non-chemical solution. Bless you my friend!

chris e. said...

It may take a couple of applications to get the little buggers. We had one rhubarb sized dandelion that took a few shots, but you can see them slowing down after the first go-round. Great on windows with it too! Try that with weed 'n' feed. Scott used some mixture involving ammonia a few years ago which also worked well, but neither of us can remember what it was.