Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ooh My Aching Ankle

One day I will learn not to push the envelope on health issues. Perhaps today would be a good day to start!

Last night I wore a pair of non-sport shoes to the 100 day celebration. I have done that a few times now and gotten away with it, but last night I wore the other shoes for too long a period of time.  By the time I got into bed my ankle was paining me for the first time in many weeks.

Those shoes cut into the swollen area just below the tibia and so it has been throbbing a lot for the past 18 hours.  During the night my calf muscles seized up several times, not an actual cramp, but that last feeling you get from your calf muscles just before they cramp and the pain sends you into orbit.  The activity of my muscles and tendons during the night put a lot of strain on the plate in my fibula and I had more little shooting pains there today than I have had since I stopped wearing my cast to bed at night. Today my ankle was sore and swollen for the entire day. Even my low cut sports shoe cut into the swollen areas.

So I am not writing this because I think anyone else will find it fascinating or particularly worthy of their reading time, but for myself to remind that self not to do such a stupid thing again as wearing a non-sport shoe for 5 or more hours in a row. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

Dumb Suzie! Dumb, dumb, dumb!!  

1 comment:

chris e. said...

You have my sympathy! I think you should note the specific sore spots so when you go to buy new shoes you will know where you really have to be conscious of the fit.