Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sleepy Beebins

Since arriving in the city I have been attacked by an overwhelming exhaustion.  It started on the drive here but it hasn't let up at all.  I have been dragging myself around the city to the library, helping Dell with his research as best I can, doing some necessary shopping, remembering to eat a few decent meals and acting as if all is well, but as soon as the action stops my eyes bat shut and I am into a less than refreshing deep sleep.

Today the rest of the symptoms hit me, symptoms I recognized immediately, and this is all just a big attack of lupus arthritis.  The inability to shake off the exhaustion after so much sleep should have alerted me.  This morning I awoke to swollen, painful fingers and knees and feet.  My back is aching from the stress of hauling the rest of me around and my neck is so sore I can hardly turn my head.  Using this laptop keyboard is easy on my fingers and is loosening them up so I can function for the rest of the day.....the day I was supposed to be helping my husband do his shopping for his up coming hiking and canoe trips. Guess he is on his own today.


The good part of this is now that I realize what is going on, I know what to do to get over it, and I know that this too shall pass.  Lots of rest for a couple of days, cancelling out on a couple of personal commitments, and within a few days this too shall pass. Aaah, the joys of aging!!  So grateful for the wonderful Indian veggie curry I ate for dinner last night and the huge plate of carrots, cauliflower and broccoli I inhaled at lunchtime!  The veggies and some chicken are just right for my diet at any time, but particularly during these attacks.  I will soon feel better.


When my son was very small he used to call himself a sleepy beebins when he would overtire to the point of actually wanting to go to bed at night.  That phrase invokes in me a feeling of warm comfort that you experience when wrapping up in a down quilt and laying your head on a soft pillow to sink into a deeply refreshing sleep, then awakening later on, aware of a sense of comfort and joy.  That is how I feel today, like a sleepy beebins....warm down quilt and soft pillow, here I come!!

No comments: