Sunday, December 30, 2012

Our Blessed Christmas Dinner

When I got home from the city I was so tired all I could think of were the upsets of dad's and mom's health.  Now, after my wonderful night's sleep I am remembering the amazing Christmas dinner our friend cooked for us.  It was difficult not to feel a slight twinge of guilt over the meal, knowing that Dad was unable to take more than 3 bites of the turkey dinner he received in the hospital, but we managed to move past it and enjoy ourselves! heehee

Dinner began with an appetizer of Greek style artichoke hearts.  Since I would gladly give my life if my last meal on this earth consisted of artichoke hearts I was delighted.  There they sat on my plate, in a light tomato glace with diced 
onions and Greek herbs........so fantastic and so far removed from the fare available where I live that I nearly burst into tears at the sheer delight of having them sitting in front of me.  I didn't even have to eat them to be moved to such an emotional reaction.  

The main course consisted of a large, fat free baked chicken from a local Vietnamese butcher, with herb gravy and crispy roasted bread stuffing, roasted cumin potatoes, long fresh green beans with mushrooms and bacon and a fluffy turnip puff.  I could not resist a tiny second helping.  

For dessert we indulged in a Swedish almond cake and pears soaked in red wine, port and kirsch.

We ended our meal with a blessed sigh of contentment.

Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus and he is our family's personal chef.

No comments: