Monday, June 3, 2013

An Earthy Weekend Around Here

I am chuckling today thinking about some things I heard and read over the past weekend.  My husband had occasion to use the word "pee" and the expression "S.O.B." in his sermons and homilies on Sunday....long story and explanation not required for this post.  

But this morning I was reading an online news report from our area that really had me laughing.  It was a report on mosquito control for this summer.  According to the report we will all be okay this summer because, unlike in former years with this much moisture and therefore so many mosquitoes waiting to hatch in every puddle and river and lake and slough, THIS YEAR there are employees all ready out spraying "the little buggers!"  

I don't know who wrote the news item.  I am surmising it is someone from the Atlantic provinces where the word "bugger" is more acceptable in common useage, but still causes some jaw dropping out here in the west.  Or it is simply someone who didn't grow up with that word being on the "I'm gonna wash your mouth out with soap young lady" list my generation of westerners grew up with.

To whoever is responsible for writing that little article and to whichever proof reader let that one get by unedited, thank you for one of the best early morning laughs I have had in awhile. Rude, crude and hysterical for its shock value.

4 comments:

bullwinkle said...

Probably a transplanted
American, in t he American
lexicon, it is and almost always
has been harmless speech
(I have known an American
who moved to Canada with
his family in the 60s, had
to be told what it meant
up here and the rest of the
commonwealth ;) )

chris e. said...

I'm not sure about that 'rest of the Commonwealth' thing. Having right-off-the-boat English parents, aunts and uncles and pretty well every other adult I came in contact with, 'bugger' was a pretty common expression. The working class folk would use the expression, the more 'cultured' ones wouldn't but still didn't bat an eye about it. So things would get buggered up, there were people who were 'stupid buggers' and mischievous children were 'little buggers.'
But getting your mouth washed out for saying it? Now that WOULD be a bugger!

Anonymous said...

Yup, your American friend has no idea what it refers too! (But now I'm curious) :) definitely not a phrase we use in the midwest.

Susan said...

Hi Anonymous: the word referred to deviants who preyed on little boys, hence the reason my mouth was once washed out with soap for using it. Knowing that makes me cringe every time I hear it, no matter how innocently it is used in this day and age.