Friday, July 19, 2013

The Dreaded Dreadful Dinner

I am shaking my head and laughing, albeit somewhat hysterically, this evening as I contemplate what may have gone wrong with the dinner I cooked.  I can't figure out what I did to it, or didn't, but it has to be one of the worst meals I have ever cooked.  HAHA haha haha haha.....

I had some ground turkey breast and decided it would be more fun to create a yummy sauce using eggplant, onions, zucchinis, potato and tomato sauce, than to just make turkey burgers.  Should have stuck with the turkey burgers...sigh....what a horrible meal we ended up with.

Did I not sautee the onions and veggies sufficiently before adding them to the frying meat?  Did the "50% less sodium" tomato sauce also have 50% less flavour?  And what about all the herbs I added?  Where did their flavour disappear to?

I knew all the veggies and the turkey are quite bland and adding them together would require especially large amounts of herbs and some long time simmering to blend the flavours properly.  Since the only fresh herb we can get here is the occasional pack of basil leaves and even they are not necessarily all that fresh, I chopped up a fair amount of that to add in.  I change all my packaged dried herbs every 3 months to ensure I am not adding tasteless stale herb mixes with nary an essential oil left among them, so before I added several HANDSFULL of herbs to ensure a good flavour I sniffed the odor coming from the packages, poured some of the mix into my hand and sniffed again......great smells. All would be well.

All was not well.  I boiled up some vermicelli noodles, put them into fancy china bowls and spooned the sauce liberally over the top.  It looked so beautiful, smelled so Italian....and had no flavour whatsoever!! Nada! None!  Zilch! Zero!  Nil!  

My husband was so kind about it after waiting until after 7pm for his dinner tonight.  He took a couple of bites, stood up and headed to the refrigerator, returning with the cheese grinder and a large piece of hard parmesan, which he proceeded to grind very liberally (how do you spell m-u-l-t-i-p-l-e t-a-b-l-e-s-o-o-n-s?) over both our heaping bowls of noodles and sauce.  It helped the flavour for a couple of mouthsfull but.......still not great.  So he chopped up the rest of the "fresh" basil leaves and we added them next.  A bit of improvement, but still not the most tasty dinner ever made.  More parmesan, ground black pepper......and then in desperation he finally went and got the big bottle of Louisiana hot sauce. Sigh...when the hot sauce comes out he is really desperate for some flavour.  I felt terrible after his long wait to eat. I felt terrible that it took that much vinegar to give the sauce any sort of recognizable flavour.

I have spent the last 45 minutes trying to figure out what happened for sure.  While I have been thinking I have also been adding more herbs to the remains of the sauce.  Of course I made a huge pot of it since there will be little time to cook over the next few days.  I poured on the chili powder and added paprika, and the last bits of the basil leaves.  Tomorrow I will add more Italian seasoning and simmer it all up again in hopes for a better taste to come out of that pot.

Well, what can you do but laugh and try to fix the disaster, right?  See me? I am laughing. Laughing, laughing, laughing some more...
HAHAHAHA  hahahaha  hahahaha hahahaha....sigh.....

Better luck next time I guess....... 

No comments: