Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Why Settle for Bronchitis When Mumps are Available Instead??

I have been seeing a doctor out here on holidays and my test results came in today...I actually have mumps virus!  Bronchitis, bronschmitis....this is a mild case of mumps!  

So, since my son has been with me during the worst days for transmitting this virus to him, I can only hope and pray his mumps vaccine from childhood is still in effect.  I don't know that I was ever vaccinated for mumps back in the old days, but I am grateful that now this should be the end of  it for me.

I have learned a few things about how to interpret swollen neck glands:  if it is only the glands under my chin line that are swollen and that is accompanied by a sore throat, runny nose and congestion then it is likely some kind of respiratory virus.  But when the entire parotid gland is swollen from neck to ear, with a low grade fever but no sore throat or sinus problems, then there is the possibility of mumps virus.  There isn't any medication to treat this but at least I have been doing all the right things....resting, staying warm, using some heat and vaporub to bring down the hardest little swellings to simply enlarged sore spots, drinking a ton of water and generally doing all the things a person would do for most any kind of similar viral infection.  I have a prescription for a cough suppressant if I want to fill it but it is the kind of med that renders me unable to drive.  Since we have cancelled the rest of our vacation and are leaving for home tomorrow I think I will just let it go until we get back.

Aaaahhh....once again my husband's vacation is in shambles, but he is so incredibly laid back about it.  We wanted to visit our son and we have accomplished that, so it is all good.

No comments: