Monday, December 30, 2013

Japanese To English Translation...Giri par excellence!!

Today we received a huge box of gifts from a dear friend in Tokyo.  I can't believe how many awesome items our friend can fit into one box...I also can't believe it cost her even more to send her box than it did for me to send my Christmas box to her!!  All this obligatory gift giving ("giri" in this case) is becoming expensive, but there is no way out unless it comes first from our Japanese friends. Considering their advanced ages that is unlikely as they are steeped in gift giving. Since I don't wish to be perceived as a complete social boor, I will continue the tradition we have established between us.  To receive a handwritten Christmas letter from her, in English, is worth every penny I spend to keep in touch with her and her dear husband.

One of the items had some delightful English translation on the labels.  It is a giant sized, rubberized non-skid mat, to be cut to size for use and in the most gaudy shade of pink I have ever seen, but I will find a use for it somewhere.  Here is some of the label translation into English.  I hope you find it as delightful as I do:

"If it attached the dust and trash please wash it and make it dry."

"Please cuts according to the different use."

"It will appears color shift and so on phenomenon for long time use in the identical place.  Please move it regular. The skid prevention effect will be weaken if it attached the dust or trash.  The smooth place is the most suitable place to use.  The uneven surface can cause the effect to be weaken.  It has the possibility of discoloration for long time use.  Don't put this goods near the fire and the heat. Please do not use the product for other purpose."

Well, I don't know about you, but even with a few glitches in the words and phrasing, the instructions are completely clear.  I am proud of the Japanese manufacturers for their excellent attempts to communicate in the ever encroaching English language.  If not all of the words or sentence structures are correct, that is okay. The meaning is well conveyed.  Before I cut my non-skid mat to fit for size in the places I plan to use it, I will read the instructions again and enjoy them very much! 

8 comments:

bullwinkle said...

I miss all the Japlish I see
when in Japan... :)

Susan said...

Me too bullwinkle, me too...sigh....

chris e. said...

I am please making comment for once again very happy post!

Susan said...

Well done chris e. Wanna come to Japan with me 'n' bullwinkle? We "3 musty steers" could have a hoot. Bullwinkle speaks fluent Japanese, my husband could come and guide us through the country, bullwinkle's wife could set up our accommodation. Your husband could come and walk to his heart's content all over the country. I could help you guys choose the foods you would enjoy most....yeah, there's an idea. 6 return fares to Tokyo please......

bullwinkle said...

凄い!温泉に入りたいですよ!
群馬県の草津はいい所ですよ。

bullwinkle said...

ところで、新年明けましておめでとうございます!

(By The way, happy New Year!)

Penny said...

when do we book the flights, so I can begin organizing the accommodations?

I would like to go in early May, please and thank you!

Susan said...

Yes, May sounds like a fine time. It is post cherry blossom time, but still everything will be green and lovely. Thank you Madam! heehee