Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Language Fads

I read a short article online this morning that talked about various new words that arose over the past year or two, were used, overused and are now being discarded from the mainstream popular vocabulary.

Michigan Lake Superior State University took recommendations from all over the nation for a list of fad words that have now apparently outlived their usefulness in our oh so up to date popular vernacular.  

"Fan base" and "twerking" are among those up for removal from daily conversation but the top contender for discard is, according to their survey, "selfies".  

One of the comments about "selfies" in the article made me laugh heartily.  It came from one David Kriege of Lake Mills Wisconsin.  He said, "It's a lame word.  It is all about me, me, me. Put the smartphone away.  Nobody cares about you."

And isn't that about it?  We have made ourselves the centre of attention from blogs (like mine for example) to Facebook to Twitter to blurry smartphone photos of ourselves, saying and doing all manner of boring "stuff" that really no one cares about.  We have over amped ourselves, overexposed ourselves to the point where, in our attempts to make ourselves more interesting and loveable to the rest of the world, we have mostly succeeded in discovering how inane most of our thoughts and activities really are....and unfortunately the people we are trying most to impress and hope will love us have made the same discovery about us.

I am at the point where the next time someone who I think I am going to have a decent conversation with pulls out their smartphone and wants to show me 32 pictures of their great-aunt Nelly's old cat snarling and hissing at the smartphone screen, I may just grab that phone and beat that person about the ears with it.  I honestly don't care about great-aunt Nelly's old cat, but I don't mind seeing one photo of it, even two photos if you must, just not 32, okay?  I don't need to see the front of the cat, the back of the cat, the left side of the cat, the right side of the cat, the cat purring, the cat sleeping, the cat drinking milk out of an old shoe, the cat hissing, the cat looking as bored as I am looking at a picture of it.

Before you post on Facebook or Twitter or rush to poke a phone full of photos into someone else's face, ask yourself if what you are going show and tell is going to be of real interest to your victim...oops, I mean friend.

My age is showing I suppose......being articulate used to be more respected as a gift among humans in western civilization and I am sorry it is being lost in a maze of mediocrity when it comes to technology based self-expression.
 

3 comments:

bullwinkle said...

For me, if I ever and I do mean
E*V*E*R hear the term "Perfect
Storm" again - will scream
at the top of my lungs!!! :)

Susan said...

Uh huh...I remember about 10 or 15 years ago when everything and everyone was "eclectic". Aaargh! So happy that word fell out of fashion.
And from seminary days my "scream at the top of my lungs" reaction was for the word "resonate". Everything had to "resonate" with everything else in a conversation about anything theological. So glad to be away from that one for a few years now.

Penny said...

ooooops I have used the "resonate" word on occasion.....but I do agree that some words or terms are just nasty to have to listen to over and over and over and over and over again.

thanks for the commentary tho....it got me thinking today!