Friday, January 24, 2014

The UPside of This Crazy Diabetes

I am slowly losing weight.  The insulin tummy is disappearing; not rapidly but slowly and surely.  In the 2 months since the diagnosis I have lost nearly 15 pounds.  I feel so much better mentally and physically and of course the possibility of a new wardrobe once my weight stabilizes is very motivating to keep a close eye on my health.  Just because I am not a fashion plate doesn't mean I don't care what I wear.  With a trip to Vancouver coming up in 3 months time, I am planning all ready where I could maybe do a day's shopping.  It is incredibly exciting to have something like that to look forward to.

I am excited as well because we have old friends dropping in next Monday.  They will be returning from a trip to see elderly parents in another province.  It has been quite awhile since we last visited and how wonderful they are coming on my husband's day off so he will actually be here for a change to share in the visit.

Getting in touch with my high school friend has been incredibly edifying.  Her life is interesting and full.  Her family is lovely.  She has made a good success of her life.  We can share our spiritual journey as well. Her husband is also a church minister.  What a blessing to be in contact once again.  It has been over 30 years since we were last in communication.  

My parents are managing rather well at the moment.  Dad was stranded once again at the doctor's office this week when his taxi didn't arrive to take him home.  After an hour of frustration trying to convince the dispatcher to send another one, he gave up and managed to get himself home on the city transit bus.  I'm sure his back was in agonizing pain by the time he arrived home, but he made it.  Mom has had some nicer weather to go bus riding in and I am so proud of her that she is taking advantage of it.

My husband's family are getting their various health issues sorted out too.  

My son has healed finally from his bad illness and is working like a crazy man getting his school assignments done for summer.  He was blessed with sufficient funds to get his first installment payment made for this summer's final semester and is well on the way to having the rest of the tuition.  The fall of the Canadian dollar is creating an issue for him of course, but he has trusted God thus far for tuition and there is no reason to think something cannot be worked out for him.  Always a stressful time with the finances, but hopefully this will be the last time he has to make such gigantic tuition payments.  It is costing him well over twenty thousand dollars a year in tuition, art supplies and summer living expenses for a 3 year Masters programme that sees him on campus for only 6 full months in total. Yikes...I can only pray it will be worth it for him in the end and that he sees the fruit of his efforts sooner rather than later. He is on his way to LA soon for an art book fair, an annual event for him that he so enjoys.

The sun is shining.  It is on the way to +1C today.  Of course that means extreme pavement frost on the highways, streets and sidewalks, making it too treacherous for me to walk anywhere, but on the UPside of that, winter is at least half over!

My husband has another long, work related, drive out of town again tomorrow, but he has 2 other colleagues to ride with him.  I am so grateful he doesn't have to go alone.  I am grateful I don't have to go with him because there is little I can to to "waste" 6 hours in the town he is going to his meetings in.  I tried there once before and it was the longest 6 hours of my life!  O my, there is so little to do there and on a Saturday it is even more difficult to find places that are open.  I can only sit in so many shops drinking tea in the course of a day.

Time to go downtown and get my business done before my husband needs the car to go to a meeting.  It is a lunch meeting!  Those are the best kind.

Have a happy weekend everybody!

No comments: