Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Tomato Sauce I Can Eat....FINALLY!

Although my liver is slowly healing itself, I am finding I cannot eat tinned tomato sauce.  I don't know if it is the concentration of acid in those sauces, but even the no salt sauces bring back a bit of that awful itch on my lower legs within about an hour of consumption.

We consume a fair amount of tomato sauce and as a diabetic I can only eat 1/4 of a cup at a meal, but even that bit has continued to bother me to some extent over the past few weeks.

I decided to try making my own and see if it makes a difference.  So, this afternoon I hauled out 12 fresh frozen tomatoes from the freezer to thaw.  When they were thawed I chopped up a good sized white onion, 3 cloves of elephant garlic, a green pepper and a cup or so of celery leaves and small stalks.  I liquified the whole works together in the blender then cooked the mixture on the stove with a teaspoon of sugar to counteract the acid in the tomatoes and about a teaspoon of sea salt to bring out the flavour of the large amount of Italian herb mixture and extra basil leaf I poured into the pot.  I don't measure herbs as a rule, I just toss them into whatever I am making until it looks like enough.  

So here I sit with over 2 litres of very tasty sauce of my own making.  I tried a quarter cup with my dinner and now, an hour later, there is no itch. So far so good!  Maybe I have found the secret.  

I know that most people make their own tomato sauces out of fresh tomatoes but for me this was a new experience.  Since I don't use recipes other than for baking, (which I rarely do because they need recipes....and I am terrible with recipes for some reason), I had to just guess at what might taste good in a tomato sauce.  Next time I think I will add some shredded carrot to the mix.

My husband will be proud of me for taking the initiative AT LAST to try to invent some kind of sauce on my own.  He is so creative in the kitchen and so rarely fails at any of his culinary experiments that it terrifies me to even consider attempting such a thing myself.

So, here I am, only 40 years behind every other cook I know, finally creating a simple sauce on my own.

It seems it is going to be one I can eat without repercussions to my liver.  YIPPEE!!

Uh oh....I just realized that I am going to have to freeze a good deal of that sauce as I doubt we are going to be able to consume over 2 litres of it in the next couple of days.  There is no room whatsoever in my freezer right now as I stocked it with meat, bread and veggies just the other day.  Ooooo....NOT SO YIPPEE!! Well, I will work something out with the freezer!

 

2 comments:

chris e. said...

What a victory!!! I am SO relieved you invented a tolerable sauce. A quarter teaspoon of baking soda can neutralize a lot of the acidity of the tomato sauce. And if you want to sweeten it up, carrots work really well. I haven't shredded them, just minced them, and found them quite delightful. Also, if you fry the onions, they will sweeten the sauce.

Susan said...

Thanks for the great ideas. My husband just told me as well to caramelize the onions before adding them in and I really like the baking soda idea. I thought of the carrots all ready so will definitely use them next time. I ate some more sauce on my spaghetti noodles this evening, and again no reaction. YAY!