Monday, February 3, 2014

Sugar in the Mornin' Sugar in the Evenin'

The food that was served at the anniversary party we went to on the weekend was very interesting.  It was an afternoon tea rather than a meal time event.  Now that I am so aware of sugars I found the afternoon's fare with its emphasis on sugar rather shocking.

On every table were 2 bowls of Lindor chocolate truffles.  The dessert offering consisted of marble cake covered in a thick icing, bowls of iced cream and frozen strawberries in sugar syrup.  To drink there was tea and coffee, plus a punch made of juice concentrates and soda pop.  Wow......talk about sugar shock for one and all.  There was literally not one thing to eat or drink that didn't contain sugar or caffeine, neither of which I can have.  I am not complaining that I couldn't enjoy the food and drink there, I just have not been as aware of the amount of sugar we consume as I was that afternoon.

The prairie diet seems to revolve around sugar, starch and fat.  It is incredibly difficult for me to get interesting ingredients here to use for making the kinds of ethnic and organic dishes I enjoy and are healthy for me.  Every time we go to the city I have to set aside a full day for grocery shopping for my husband and I so we can eat more interesting diets with ingredients that simply aren't available here.  Yes, of course there is produce available here, but the freshness is in question too often, ginger roots arrive on the shelves all ready mouldy, peppers are often mouldy on the inside when I bring them home from the store, even field onions seem like last harvest's left overs sometimes. Extra lean beef is a rarity and the definition of extra lean in this province is not the same as elsewhere. Extra lean meat here still contains more fat that most lean meats elsewhere in Canada.  

It is the amount of sugar being consumed everywhere I go here that stuns me the most.  No wonder there are so many diabetics in this area.  Sugar is even added to many of the vegetable casseroles, particularly if they contain turnip or yams.  I can't imagine how I managed to remain free of diabetes for as many years as I did!


No comments: