Thursday, April 17, 2014

Cannibal Hawk

A bit of sadness late this afternoon when a Sharp-Shinned Hawk appeared in our trees and selected a beautiful little junko for his dinner.  I am glad I didn't see the kill as I get a bit weepy when nature takes its course in these instances, but I have to admit that the hawk was quite magnificent to look at as it balanced itself and its dinner on a narrow tree branch while it ate.

When it was done it flew up into a higher tree and took off on a flight northward.  It was like watching a guided missile take flight.  The aerodynamic structure of that bird and the way it was able to pull in its feathers to gain height and speed was breathtaking.  We occasionally get a bird of prey in our yard due to the variety of tall trees and of smaller birds for prey. Hopefully it won't happen again for a long time, but those hawks are amazing to watch.  I am sorry it ate one of our favourite little birds, but I am not sorry I got to see it in flight.

No comments: