Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy For My Parents

My parents had a nice weekend for a change.  Dad's back has improved just a little bit in the last couple of weeks, so for only the second time in the last  6 months he was able to get out of the apt. for something other than a medical appointment....twice!!

Friday evening he was well enough to go to dinner at the home of a friend.  Mom was pretty excited as well. Although she is out on the city buses most days going to appointments and getting groceries and running errands, her social life has been nearly as dismal as my father's in the past 18 months.  I got the detailed description of the wonderful assortment of foods their friend fed them.  Getting out to visit was so good for them both, I think they could have been served soup and crackers and enjoyed it just as much as the feast they actually ate.

My dad was able to accompany Mom and her friend to church this morning for only the second time in that 18 months.  This time he didn't need to come home early or leave the service to go and lie down in the back room.  He survived a long Easter service AND the coffee hour afterward, where he was delighted to see so many friends.  It was nice for Mom to have him with her this week.  Dad's back was protesting by the time he returned home and tomorrow he will likely be in agonizing pain again, but it will have been worth it.

I am happy my parents had such a truly happy Easter weekend.

No comments: