Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Couple of Terrifying Health Days

The past couple of days saw a huge rise in my post-prandial blood sugar readings.  "Spiking" is what it is called and it is what all diabetics try their hardest to avoid.  A 2 to 3 point rise between pre- and post-prandial is the most you want to see.

For 2 days my count was going up 4 points and higher after every meal.  I confess that I completely freaked out.  Last night I was a mess worrying that after all my work in the past 9 months, this disease was all ready progressing!  That day will come, but I was so hoping for at least another year of success at this level of treatment.

This morning I woke up feeling quite well after an excellent night's sleep.  The fuzzy head I have been fighting for the last 2 days was gone.  The inability to stay awake that plagued me for that same time period also seemed to be over.  Hmmmmm..... I was assuming I felt that way because my blood sugar was so high, but today's numbers have not been spiking at all.  To check them, I ate exactly the same foods and amounts at meals that I did yesterday.  No spiking....will see what happens at dinner this evening, but I think I may have a clue as to what happened the past 2 days.

My liver continues to remain sensitive after all the damage it incurred last year.  The night before this incredible rise in my blood sugar began I walked into the path of some outdoor insect killer spray.  I got quite a face full of the stuff before being able to back away from it and it was the next day I felt so lousy and the sugar spikes began.  Killer chemicals have always bothered my health, long before the diabetes began.  Weed sprays and insect sprays and farm chemicals have made me ill for weeks at a time on many occasions in my life.

SO, I may be completely wrong about this, but I am wondering if the reaction I had to the insect spray caused a reaction in my body as it was cleansed by my liver that shot my blood sugar up;  OR if there was some other small infection going on in my system that I was unaware of, apart from the lethargy and fuzzy head.

Just wondering is all......

As far as today goes, so far so good......

1 comment:

bullwinkle said...

Here's to hoping it was too much
insecticide, as odd as that sounds.