Monday, August 11, 2014

All Dressed Up and No Place to Go

I am sitting in a hotel room having a laugh to myself. haha  Today we drove to a town where we lived for many years, my husband picked up his hiking buddy and off they went to the mountains.  The weather is perfect and the forecast the best for mountaineering.  I hope and pray my husband has the time of his life.

As for me, it is quite a riot here in my hotel room.  I didn't realize when I booked that it is a "pet friendly" hotel, as I was just to pleased to find any hotel room available at this time of year in this town known for the difficulty of finding tourist accommodation in the summer.  At this moment, just before 8pm, there is a huge German shepherd barking crazily and loudly in the parking lot below my window and a cat in the room next door that is howling piteously while its people are away for the evening.  For the sake of the hotel I hope it has been declawed or there is going to be one heck of a mess by the morning.  Don't get me wrong okay?  I love animals, allergies and all, but I don't love them in my hotel where I expect to get some sleep at night.  The town where I live strictly controls pets and includes barking dogs in the noise bylaw so it is intensely quiet at night there.  Here in my hotel, apparently not so much. haha  It is going to be a wild few days.

Part of the reason I am here in my hotel so early in the evening is that all but 3 of the people I was to see this week have had the same chance to take spontaneous trips out of town this week that I had, so there are only these 3 people left for me to visit.  I have been here for 4 hours and have seen 2 out of 3 of them all ready.  That leaves me a few days to fill in a town where the main difference between it and where I live is the size of the WalMart and I have all ready been over there this evening for my tour and to get some diabetic friendly breakfast food so I don't have to drag myself downstairs to the hotel lobby in the mornings for food I shouldn't eat anyway.  (If I am going to spend most of my time here in the hotel I want to eat in my jammies and watch early morning news on tv!)  There are a couple of lovely new restaurants here so I was primed for a good dinner tonight, but both of them are closed until the day after I leave.....even the restaurant proprietors are on holidays too this week. hahahaha

So tomorrow I will go to visit friend number 3 and then I am going to drive a couple of hours to the city and see my parents again. That will be a nice surprise for them....IF they are home! hahaha (and I am not counting on it!)

God seems determined that I am going to spend ever more time alone, even on my summer holidays and I know there is a reason for it all.  If I run out of things to do and people to see locally, I am going to go for some lovely walks through the tree filled park here and read my books guilt-free.  There are bugs to be washed off the car after the drive and there are some new stores to wander into.  I might even watch a show or 2 on tv!  It is just nice to be somewhere other than at home for a few days this month.  Seems there will be equal parts excitement and rest.  So, it will be a good  balance.  

Having expected visits fall apart, in the past, has meant that God is lining up times for me with other people or doing other things that I wouldn't think of otherwise.  I am rather excited to see what adventures happen over the next few days.  God is nothing if not creative in the way he has me spending my time.

It will be fun to see what happens next!

No comments: