Monday, August 18, 2014

"All Is Lost" is a Great Movie

Yesterday I stumbled upon a movie I hadn't heard of before and it was a treat to watch.  The movie is "All Is Lost", starring Robert Redford and directed by J. C. Chandor.  With so little scripted dialogue it would be a scriptwriter's employment nightmare if this sort of movie caught on big time, but the lack of dialogue was part of what brought a powerful sense of reality to the film.

Robert Redford plays a sailor whose craft collides with a shipping container out on the ocean.  He is able to save himself, some flares and other safety gear, on an inflatable raft but then drifts around in the water for days, struggling with weather, starvation, lack of drinking water, sharks and all other conditions you would expect a stranded sailor on the ocean to experience.

Not being a sailor I am not certain how realistically that sort of situation was actually portrayed in the movie, but I thought Redford did a wonderful job of portraying the character who starts off with every hope he will be rescued and gradually descends into the desperation of despair.  He is not a talker, this character. Most of the movie is done without the character talking to himself as he drifts about on the water.  For the most part the only sounds are the natural sounds of the ocean. That is part of what made it all seem real to me.

I found the film to be emotionally gripping, perhaps because as a child I had nightmares about being stranded myself in just such a situation....interesting for a child raised completely inland and who couldn't swim at all until she was a teenager.

In the final scene Redford's character attempts a final desperate act in hopes it will bring salvation from the otherwise ultimate fate of drowning in the vast waters.  My heart was in my mouth.  I won't give away the ending, but I was hooked emotionally on this film from start to finish. My husband wants to see it now so I will watch it with him.  This time, knowing the outcome of the movie, I will be able to be less emotionally involved.

No comments: