Thursday, August 28, 2014

Autumn is All Ready in the Air

On the weekend I realized how much earlier the sun is now setting in the evenings.  The sun isn't fully out until closer to 8am each morning.  It is lower in the sky now and there is a slightly different look and feel, darker and heavier, to the atmosphere outside; a less bright, more yellow hued look to the landscape.  The smells of summer emanating from the foliage have disappeared.  Even in town there are the beginnings of green leaves turning yellow as they receive less daily sunlight. Tiny aphids have arrived, signalling the end of summer.  The flowers in my flower box outside the front door and in front of the church are looking droopy, some of the underleaves starting to turn brown.  Migrating song birds are all ready appearing in our side yard, munching themselves silly at the feeders and moving on again a few days later.

To be honest I am feeling somewhat ripped off about this early seasonal change.  It is because we were cheated out of our usual lovely spring weather this year.  It was replaced by late melting snow, freezing cold winds and rain well into June.  Moving so quickly from winter into summer, with no more than a couple of weeks of real spring, makes the somewhat early onset of autumn seem wrong!

What I am hoping for is a nice long Indian summer to make up for the shortness of the warm seasons this year.

Tonight my husband and his friend from Alberta will return to our home after their canoe trip.  I am so grateful for the technology that allowed them to email me a message of their safe arrival at each evening's camping location.  Sadly, not far from where they were last night, another canoeist was not so fortunate as they have been this week.  His overturned canoe and drowned body were found by some local fishermen, his very much alive wife located on land a few miles away. She had been alone with no supplies for 8 days after her husband's canoe overturned in rapids rated as beginner level.  It was her long practised outdoor survival skills that saved her life.  It reminded me how fortunate my own husband has been thus far on all his outdoor adventures.  I can't imagine how this woman may be feeling about the loss of her long time companion.

Today I am putting my diabetes information into a more organized arrangement in a 3 ring binder instead of having piles of papers and brochures all around the kitchen and my office. After lunch I am going for a long walk, rejoicing that my time alone this past few days has gone so well.

My son called me last night as he walked the several miles between his apt. and his studio.  He was in a chatty mood about some personal things that he still enjoys discussing with his mom.  As I see myself aging and, knowing the eventual and inevitable changes that will happen to my mind and body at some point in the next decade or so, I treasure even more our times of conversation and personal sharing.  The day will come when I can no longer relate to what he is talking about, will become more self-absorbed due to health issues and will not be able to emotionally handle the sadder events of his life.  Lord willing I will do all I am able to hold off that time of life for a long time yet.  I reached that point with my own parents some years ago now and it was a sad realization for me the day I understood how deeply our relationship had changed due to the aging process.  I saw it with my elder care clients.  While it is a natural event that comes with aging, it is one part of that process I truly dread.

The weather is perfect today for a good long walk after lunch.  I will need it to walk off all the salmon I am planning to eat at lunch time.  Yesterday I found good sized salmon filets....real ocean salmon, not farm raised.  Yes, it would have been frozen for transport so it is not "fresh from the ocean" quality, but in comparison to the farm salmon....welll, there is no comparison in the flavour and texture of the meat.  I paid a horrendous amount of money for sufficient fish to feed 2 people for 2 small meals and wondered on the way home from the store if I had lost my mind.  However, it was SO good at dinner last night that I stopped worrying about the price.  I managed to not overcook it for once....a bad habit of mine....and it was perfect!  A little freshly squeezed lemon juice and fresh from the garden dillweed and it was to die for.  I ate too much, I know it....it is a rather fattier fish than I should have very often on my diet.  I was so stuffed that I slept for 7 hours straight last night and was an hour late waking up for breakfast this morning.  I have some left for today but will refrain from stuffing myself quite so full so that my husband can share the remains of it tomorrow.

Wonder what kind of fun my afternoon walk will bring me today. 

No comments: