Friday, August 15, 2014

Is It Possible to be a 2 Point Calvinist?

I was mulling over some Calvinistic theology the other day and it got me thinking that while I have a true appreciation for his stress on the sovereignty of God, like so many theologians with good ideas, some of Calvin's disciples seem to have pushed his ideas to the nth degree; built upon his initial concepts until his basic theology is far less recognizeable by the time they have finished with it.

I can't find strong scriptual support for some of the hyper-Calvinists' double predestination ideas where even who is going to heaven or hell is pre-ordained.  It doesn't seem to match up with the ideas of God-given free will that I read about in the Book of Genesis.  It doesn't seem to match up with much of Jesus' New Testament teaching.  The lack of human free will espoused by some of Calvin's followers seems to me more like Hindu teaching than Christian.  If God's plan isn't able to accommodate human free choice then what was the point of Jesus coming to earth and teaching us about salvation and redemption?  What would be the point of any of this earthly experience? Why would a creative God set up a universe with human beings who are pre-progammed from birth to death?  Not that God has to explain himself or his motives to mere me, but I'm just sayin'....  It is possible to proof-text any idea at all and find apparent scriptural support or evidence for nearly any point of view, but taking the entire body of biblical books as a whole, the over arching idea seems to be one of relationship between humans and their creator where there is conversation, give and take, choices with consequences both here on earth and in the life to come.  Verses specifically mentioning ideas of predestination seem to indicate what will happen to people who deliberately choose to follow or not follow God.  The option to follow a path to spiritual transformation, led by the Holy Spirit, would be meaningless if each person has been born hot-wired for a certain "end game result".


Doing some minor meditating this week.  It is nice to be on holidays and have time to think about things I enjoy thinking about for a change.

4 comments:

bullwinkle said...

I look at it this way:

1) No HUMAN can determine IF there is such a thing as predestination nor WHO is predestined if that is the case.
2) It is not up to me to determine who I should discuss Christ with in light of #1.
3) Father/Son/Holy Spirit are alone would know, therefore predestination is really irrelevant to humanity.

This is generally how I respond to that aspect of Calvinism.

Susan said...

Hmmm...more to think about. Thanks Bullwinkle.

bullwinkle said...

Boy, my grammar was awful...

Susan said...

It's a personal blog...no worries. You have seen some of the dreadful spelling and grammatical errors I haven't corrected on these posts. O well......