Friday, August 15, 2014

Winter Shopping Extravaganza

My husband may be feeling just a tad guilty that he is spending so much of "our" holiday time this summer off on his own or with his buddies camping and canoeing.  He doesn't need to feel that way as I know how badly he needs this time away from everything he sees and does every other day of the year.  During his most recent camping trip I had fun of my own anyway, so no worries.

However, since I will be stuck at home in a couple of weeks while he is gone again, he decided weeks ago all ready that at some point I should have some money to go clothes shopping as I have not one winter item that fits me left over from last year.  Not being much of a shopper as a rule, I wasn't sure I really wanted to spend my time away earlier this week buying clothes, but now I am so happy that I did.

The small town I was staying in at the start of this past week has a plethora of womens' apparel retailers and there were sales galore, even on the new winter stock.  I started at one end of the town and worked my way over the course of the day to the other end of town.  I shopped for 7 (SEVEN!!) hours with a half hour break for lunch!  It has been over 20 years since I enjoyed shopping for clothes.  To be able to go into every possible store, try on regular sizes and styles, not worry too much about the cost per item, was a feeling I haven't had in several decades and it was fabulous.  I think I could do this once every few years actually without the experience losing its appeal.  

By the end of the day I was higher than a kite on joy and surprise at my willingness to spend, spend, spend! hahahaha  Of course the clothes I purchased are completely practical, only a couple of items of whimsy, but I have everything I need for winter wear for the next 3 or 4 years.

I would like to thank my husband for seeing what I couldn't see:  I needed a day for myself, to spruce up my wardrobe, to relax about money and sizes and number of items purchased. My husband is a wise and discerning man. He knows me better than I know myself.

Last night when I unpacked my bags here at home I shed a few tears, also of joy.  I can't believe how blessed I am to have been able to go shopping for clothes that are actually pretty and not only functional.  I am so grateful for the chance to lose weight, to have some funds for one big blow out shopping spree, for a husband who wanted to provide that experience for me so that I could have a huge treat this summer.  It was his thank you to me for allowing him to take our personal holiday time to fulfill his need for outdoor recreation in settings where he is the most happy....Rocky Mountains and then the lakes in the Canadian Shield.

This has been a joyous time off, far removed from the daily realities of life that will begin tomorrow as we start cleaning out the garage here at home. hahaha  Reality has returned, but thanks wonderful husband for the fantastic break away.

No comments: