Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Wha?

I have been reading a series of newspaper articles lauding the incredible parenting skills of a fellow who was recently murdered outside the front door of his own home.

Being as painfully aware of my own faults as a parent as I am I have no wish to denigrate the man's relationship with his children or criticize his style, but I admit I am a bit stymied by the incredible amount of column given over to praising his love of his children when down at the bottom of each column, like a "by the way" and off the cuff remark, it is noted that the man was murdered by his fellow dealers in crack cocaine and heroin.

I agree there is little point in citing the faults of a dead person ad nauseum, but at the same time I admit to having a bit of a struggle with the extensive way the man is being praised.

A father who would put his own beloved children in a situation where they too could have suffered his fate by virtue of it happening right on their own property in broad daylight makes me question all the praise he is receiving for his parenting.

I don't want to over simplify the situation.  My questioning is based merely on some newspaper articles and not on knowing the family.

It just mystifies me that more and more we are being told how wonderful various hard line criminals are simply because they have families they aren't obviously abusing.

Hopefully the children will grow up remembering the good things their father did, said and provided, but the upset of how and why he died will always be with them.  Unfortunately such things can't be whitewashed into non-existence even for the innocent family members.  I am very sad for the kids.  What heartache they have to bear at such young ages.

I find the media response to such events rather confusing.  To quote Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does."  No matter how apparently wonderful this man was as a father, his own stupidity took his life and left his children fatherless, possibly still in danger for their lives.

It is all very sad and I don't know how I should feel about such things. For some reason it seems to be an issue with me at the moment and I am not certain as to why. 

No comments: