Friday, December 12, 2014

More Good News From the Doctor

My appointment for my last set of 6 month test results went well today.  While some of the numbers on one of the random tests were up a tenth to 3 tenths of a point, everything was still within range.  One small test from the CBC tests sent me slightly over optimum range, but barely.  I know what I have to do to bring those small rises back down again.  The experiments, the cheating to see what I can get away with, they are all over and done with.  The main point for me is that I just feel better minus the experimental eating and the cheating with any sorts of refined sugar in desserts. I feel better when I eat 50 grams of protein at a meal instead of 75. At this point my idea of dessert is another 1/2 carb unit of turkey dressing, or mashed potatoes with a couple of teaspoons of gravy, or a few extra corn niblets.  If I crave anything at this point it is cooked vegetables of all kinds.  Me 'n' cucumber slices are buddies.  With all the sugar experiments, adding in of extra proteins and cheating I tried, I am kind of shocked that my A1C was the same as it was 3 months ago and that my cholesterol and liver counts are so good.

The past 6 months have been an amazing learning experience as to what my body can tolerate for foods.  Now it is time to get back on track with the diet I maintained faithfully for the first 6 months after my diagnosis.  I feel good about this.  I am not craving anything I shouldn't have.  I am content to live within the boundaries of my disease.  I am looking forward to one of our church Advent dinners tomorrow night....a lovely catered affair that is simply scrumptious every year and is very healthy for me.  That will be my treat for the week...minus the dessert portion of the meal.  I will load up an extra bit of the delicious stuffing and a touch extra gravy for my dessert.  Yum  yum yum!!!  

Thank you Lord for all I have learned in the past year since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  It has been an incredible experience to find out so much about the body and nutrition.

And now it is time to ferret out a couple of tins of olives from the pantry and do my exercises, swinging my arms with abandon as I march in double time around and around the house, followed by my  new addition of jogging. My ankle can handle 3 full minutes of that now.  Life is new and fresh again.  I am grateful.

 

No comments: