Wednesday, May 27, 2015

So Much For Feeling Safe!

Life in our complex heated up apparently while I was out of town.  I am VERY glad I didn't hear anything about this criminal activity until just a few minutes ago.

Our sedate little complex, in the lowest crime area of the city, suffered from a serious home invasion!  Four masked men forced their way into one of our units, carrying machetes and what have you and made off with an undisclosed amount of cash and "goods" from the person who was at home at the time.  The police have located neither the men, nor the car they were driving, nor any of the stolen goods.  How terrifying is this to me, here alone for another more than 24 hours before my husband returns??? Aaaack!!  It happened only across the parking lot from my own unit and that is way too close for comfort.  I can only hope that the criminals and victims were known to each other and it is the result of a drug deal gone sour or some such, but at the moment that doesn't seem to be the case.  Aaaack! again!!  I mean, who breaks into elderly, far lower than high class, townhouses????

My little safety bubble of denial I have been happily living in since we arrived here is now properly and completely burst and I will try to be more attentive and careful about locked doors and going out in the evenings on foot on my own recognizance.  

I choose for the rest of the afternoon, while I am cleaning up this place, to think about happier things: such as the wonderful lunch I just had with a parishioner who is very friendly and nice, the Serbian dinner I am invited to this evening, a newly added lunch date tomorrow with relatives and then lunch again on Friday with an old friend from seminary days who hasn't been seen since.

Best of all is the arrival tomorrow evening of my dear husband.  O Lord, let his flight schedule work out as well as it did for his trip overseas and may he be no more than fifteen minutes late arriving home, the same amount of time he was late arriving in Tanzania 3 weeks ago.  Please, please please........

No comments: