Saturday, July 11, 2015

Scared Stupid

About 10:30pm last night I was getting ready to shut off the tv and go to bed when the back doorbell rang.  It was so unexpected I nearly jumped right up to the ceiling.  The back door is right beside the large kitchen window that I left open for the evening trying to get some cooler air to flow through after a hot day.

Before I could get off the couch the bell rang again.  Who on earth would be ringing my doorbell at that time of night??  Automatically my mind goes to the darkest scenario, so I called out through the window, "Who's there??"  Not receiving an answer did nothing to reassure me that all was well.  I peered through the minute peep hole in the door and could see no one.  "Who's there??", I called out again but, just like the first time, only silence answered me.

The bell rang again, so I whipped open the knife drawer, slipped a carving knife behind my back (as you may have read in one of my blog entries from long ago, I know how to use a knife against unexpected nighttime intruders) and flung the door open just as the bell rang a third time.  

No one was out there as the bell began to ring once again.  I slammed the door shut and in confusion headed back to the living room to check out the front door as the bell continued to ring, the rings coming closer and closer together.  No one was at the front door either, not surprising since the front door has a different series of bells than what I was hearing.

The bell kept ringing and suddenly it hit me: the constant ringing for no reason means the batteries are dying and it is time to replace them.  hahahahahahaha  I yanked the indoor bell box out of the wall plug in the living room to get it to stop ringing.

I felt pretty stupid....at least I did once I managed to bring my pulse back to normal range and got my blood pressure lowered.   Then I got a serious case of the giggles, you know the hysterical kind that just won't stop until they are good and ready. hahaha

A few minutes later I plugged the box back into the wall and sure enough, the bells began again.  Aiii yiiii....thanking God this didn't happen in the middle of the night.  I would have been sound asleep and either not heard them until our next door neighbours started pounding on the walls in hopes the bells would stop, or have been jerked awake and instantly terrified and immobilized by fear.

O there is no end of excitement in my life, that is for sure! hahaha

 

No comments: