Thursday, October 15, 2015

Pesky Unwanted Phone Calls

I admit to not being the brightest candle on the birthday cake, so am proud of myself for finally discovering the best way to eliminate ongoing phone calls from scammers, survey companies and other unsolicited and unappreciated calls.

What I have found most effective lately for ensuring I do not get more than one call back from solicitors and computer generated calls is simply to pick up my wireless, press the Talk button as if I was going to answer, then say nothing. If there is a recorded message I just let it play...and play...and play, until the system on the other end of the line hangs up. Sometimes it takes a second call before the calls stop coming from that party, but I would rather have two attempts to reach me than twenty-seven in a week!  If there is a live person on the other end of the line, they soon lose patience when I keep them on the line and refuse to speak after saying hello, or not even bothering with that much conversation. There again, there is sometimes a second attempt to reach me either later that day or later in the week, but usually that is the end of it.

I have been tracking unsolicited solicitors over the past two months. Until I started refusing to speak after answering, I was averaging fifteen to twenty of those calls per week. In the past two weeks I have had a total of three such calls.

Live solicitors are losing time and money when they continue to call a number where there is an answer but no response. When recorded messages have their own phone systems tied up uselessly for up to a full minute with no response at the other end after pick up, the system does not waste its own time continuing to call that number back.

For now at least, I have been spending far less time hobbling full speed toward my phone, only to discover I have inconvenienced myself for no good reason. I have not been faced with the temptation to cuss at, scream at, or blow a whistle into the ear of an unsuspecting phone solicitor. I am not plagued with rising blood pressure over a computer generated call that would not be adversely effected anyway by cussing, screaming or whistle blowing. My new method of dealing with these unwanted calls is better for myself as well as for the callers.

No comments: