Thursday, July 14, 2016

Fun For My Parents

I had a good talk with my parents yesterday. They are having the time of their lives in their seniors' facility this Stampede week.

The social convener has knocked herself out to provide Stampede style entertainment for the people there: Stampede lunch featuring all deep fried foods such as pickles, onion rings, fries, burgers, even fried iced cream etc., just like on the fair grounds; a good old fashioned Stampede pancake breakfast; fiddle music and country line dancing; even midway style games with prizes!  Unusually for her, Mom didn't win anything, but equally unusually Dad won...THREE times! hahaha  Apparently I am inheriting a ladies' necklace that is of course of no use to him and doesn't go with anything Mom is wearing these days, hahaha. Dad managed to rally for about an hour at each event and so I am pleased he too could get downstairs and enjoy the fun.

My mom went with some of the other folk for the monthly outing to a mall in the north end of the city earlier in the week as well.  She had the time of her life.  She is painfully shy but is determined to make some friends among the other ladies, particularly now that Dad is finally giving her the freedom to do so and may not be with her more than a few more months.  She had lunch in the food court with one group of ladies, coffee in a little cafe with another group and she got brave enough when trying on clothes to ask 3 of the ladies she barely knows at all if the blouse she wanted to purchase looked good on her!  You would have to know my mom to understand what a huge leap that was for her to actually talk to people she doesn't know and to take a risk on asking the opinion of strangers about a wardrobe item. I am intensely proud of her and I am so happy that my dad is beginning to realize she is going to need friends when he is gone.  That is just as big a leap for him to take as it is for her to talk to strangers.  I am proud of them both.

This move has been the best thing ever for the two of them!  Yes, it is costing me my inheritance to keep them there and no, I don't care.

No comments: