Friday, August 5, 2016

Laziness Based Creative Meal Preparation!

After my workout in the pool this afternoon, I confess I was kind of tired when it came time to prepare dinner tonight. Sigh......

I chopped up some chicken breasts and put them in a pan with some olive oil, sauteed onions and thinly cut carrot rounds, squeezed some fresh lemon juice over everything and sprinkled some Greek seasoning mix generously over the top of it all.  Easy peasy.  A small pot of scented rice went on the stove top pan because I was too lazy to haul out the proper rice cooker, then I decided a salad of some kind would be a nice way to round out a simple meal.

Except....when I am tired I detest preparing vegetables for salad.  Wash, dry, spin, chop, wash, dry, spin, chop some more...getting all manner of knives and cutting boards and salad bowls dirty for the sake of a teensy side salad for each of us.  My salads are generally not interesting enough to make all the preparation worth it, to be quite honest.

I pulled out a roma tomato and the remaining half of a nicely ripe avocado from the vegetable crisper, diced them up in a mixing bowl, then pulled out what was left of a head of lettuce I must have purchased a lot longer ago than I remember....eek...brown leaves and more brown leaves.  After pulling off leaf after leaf and finding nothing left worth eating, I tossed the whole works into the garbage.  Now what?  There was a nice red pepper in the crisper and some fresh celery stock, but those would require more washing and drying and chopping....blah....

So, I decided rather than worry about making a fancy salad out of the remaining ingredients...remember that my husband cannot eat uncooked pepper skins at the moment and have YOU ever tried peeling a pepper and still having a sufficient amount left to actually eat????......I would just pour olive oil and Rozendal lavender vinegar over the tomato and avocado mixture, add a bit of pepper and hope that would constitue a side dish.  Sigh....I am SO lazy when I am tired....

Dividing that mixture into 2 salad bowls would mean 2 salad bowls and 2 salad forks to have to wash and dry after dinner....ooooh, pity me....TWO little bowls and 2 extra forks to wash and dry....I am such a slave driver to myself am I not?  TWO little bowls and forks...but I didn't want to have to clean them up afterward.  I admit it...tired = dead lazy!!

In the end I put a base of rice on each of our plates, scooped some of the chicken 'n' veggie mix over the top and then spooned half the tomato/avocado mixture over the top of the whole works, praying it wouldn't taste like crap!

Shock and surprise....it was absolutely delicious.  My husband is still raving about it 4 hours later!!  hahahahahahaha What a hoot!  Somehow the Greek herbs, lemon juice and the lavender vinegar all went together.  The cold, raw salad veggies on top of the sauteed onion and carrot tasted delicious.  hahahaha Like Mexican taco style food...without the Mexican and without the taco, but still with the cold veggies on top of the warm meat mixture.

After tonight's adventure in the kitchen I think I should always cook dinner when I am exhausted....the possible...make that probable....culinary disasters I am expecting seem to turn out better than any meal I bother to put thought, planning and preparation into!!

Go figure.......

Sigh.....

No comments: