Sunday, August 21, 2016

Meeeeemoooorieeeeeeesss......

It's interesting how, when you least expect it, the past up and hits you smack in the face.  That happened to me during our walk this evening.

We were walking past the neighbourhood pub and noticed several beautifully tricked out, well ridden Harley Davidsons parked in the lot outside.  Sitting on the patio were the owners of the bikes: a group of full patch Grim Reapers/Hell's Angels.  What triggered the memories for me was the age of most of the guys...close to my own. Many long forgotten memories...purposefully forgotten...came flooding back in an instant.

Maybe sometimes a person needs that little bit of a jarring memory to remind her of what exactly she was delivered from by Jesus the Saviour.  Why right now, tonight, it should have to happen to me, I don't know.  But I did instantly remember the intensity and depth of the gratitude I felt when I let the Lord take control of my life way back when.  Maybe that is it: the edge of that gratitude has dulled over the years?  The constant realization of my need of Christ has slowly dimmed? Maybe the deliberate refusal to ever think or talk about my real past has set me up to think more highly of myself than I ought to as I enter old age? I don't know.

I only know my gratitude to God has been rekindled somehow tonight as the result of an innocent walk through the neighbourhood that unexpectedly brought me face to face with some old memories likely best forgotten again.

Hmmmm...some things to think about......

 

No comments: