Saturday, October 29, 2016

Even International Awards Are Losing Their Meaning

After a wait of over two weeks, the most recent winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature, Bob Dylan, has announced he will accept the award.

Well, isn't that special?

The news article I read today said that Mr. Dylan did not respond immediately to the honour because being chosen rendered him speechless. I can appreciate that because it rendered me speechless as well. The fact that he was shortlisted, or even seriously considered at all for the honour rendered me equally speechless to be honest. Was the list of worthy nominees that short? Really?

I don't have anything personal against Mr. Dylan. I have never met the man. I do not denigrate his large and obvious contribution through his music and lyrics to the incredible youth culture revolution of the 1960's and 1970's. While I do not necessarily believe that he and his peers among musicians of the era influenced my generation of young people in the best direction over all, no one can deny that influence it they did.

However, to call his song lyrics worthy of such a prestigious international literary award....I don't quite see it.

He won, I am glad he has finally stepped forward to accept his award, I just hope the judges of all the categories of the Nobel prizes, including the sciences, will think long and hard in future. Like so many areas of modern life, the quality of what is considered to be award worthy in recent years has definitely taken a plunge.

Hey, I am allowed to have opinions too.....

No comments: