Monday, October 10, 2016

One Dinner Down, One To Go!

We have truly been having some lazy days this weekend, in around the basement leak repair and making salads for dinners out.  It has been necessary and good, but today I am starting to "champ at the bit" somewhat as the boredom begins to descend.  I am glad I slept in a bit this morning and got a few things tidied up and organized before my husband woke up to start his day.  Now he is happily doing some writing and I am about to start preparing the veggies and fruit for a salad I will take to tonight's dinner in Lumsden.  As long as we don't exceed the forecast 1-3cm of snow, we will still be able to make the drive without snow tires.  Hopefully we will be on our way home before the moisture on the highway starts to freeze. 

Last night's dinner was a lot of fun....the food was delicious, standard turkey fare with buttered peas, stuffing, mashed potatoes and salad.  One of the other guests brought her homemade pecan, lemon meringue and pumpkin pies to the feast.  Yup, just had to have the teensiest sliver of each of the pumpkin and pecan pies.  Delish!!!!  My husband was happy to hang out with the only other man there: beer and football on tv. Perfect! hahaha

It was warm, sunny and lovely most of yesterday. Today.....not so much.  It is very cold in comparison, the sky is covered in dark snow clouds and I can only hope things clear up for the rest of the week so my husband can go out of town to work for a few days without a big worry about his tires.  HOPEFULLY we are picking up our new vehicle next Saturday...yes, that is a prayer request.  Once we get it we can arrange a purchase and installation of some winter studs for it.  My husband will be out on the road SO MUCH in the coming months he just has to have the full studded outfit of rubber tires under that vehicle.  A young fellow is taking the old car off our hands.  It will be a good starter vehicle for him and he can learn more about repairs and mechanics, which is what he is hoping for.  My husband is pleased his mother's former car will not be taken immediately to the wrecker.

So, off to find something purposeful to do around here once those veggies are prepped.  A lot of stores do not open on Thanksgiving Mondays here which is good for the employees, but I feel somewhat adrift when I can't even go anywhere to pick up anything and make myself feel useful.

I am wondering when to let the choir know I will once again have to drop out after the Christmas concert to accompany my husband on many of his road trips around the diocese over the winter.  I feel badly, but I will once again miss too many rehearsals to be of any use to the director.

 I am looking forward to my parents' report on their Thanksgiving dinner today with a dear family friend.  They will be so delighted to have a chance to go out and I am sure Dad will sleep all day long so he can have the energy to enjoy his evening away. I truly hope he is feeling well enough to go and have some fun. Life is pretty dreary for my parents these days.

No comments: