Saturday, November 26, 2016

OK, So Old Kringle Boy Wasn't Quite as Annoying This Morning at Rehearsal (and a Prayer Request)

I attended a sectional rehearsal today for choir.  It was a small group of us, but I am so glad I went.  Today I finally grasped what the director wants from us as we sing the song I was crabbing about in the last post and so it seems moderately more tolerable now.  

It is a good thing I went today as I was the only alto there.  I wondered about that as I knew most of the other altos had other obligations this morning, but I decided not to freak out about it.  I just did my best and am delighted I was sitting close enough to the director that she could hear me.  She was pleased that I actually knew my  notes and lyrics for the songs we had time to do in our short hour together.  Tomorrow I will be far more confident at our regular rehearsal.  It turned out to be a good thing that I was on my own this morning.

The sun is shining so beautifully today, nary a cloud in the sky. Although it is nearly the end of November there is still some warmth in that sun.  My husband and I were able to go out and start touching up the paint on the car where gravel has taken off a few flakes on the hood. We will be racing out to the parking lot every hour for the rest of the day, layering the fresh paint properly to match up with the existing paint around the chips. We walked to the grocery store for a couple of items and stopped in at the Western Pizza there for a chicken burger lunch. I find my husband tends to hibernate at his computer doing work emails hour after hour, even when he is working from home and able to take a few minutes break here and there.  Eating out certainly got him out of his work space. The cup of cream of mushroom soup that came with our meal was surprizingly tasty!!  Not big mushroom soup fans but this one was made on site and a real treat!  No corn products and not too thin nor too gloppy thick.

I was very surprised at him though after lunch as we walked through the grocery store and he became enamoured of an outdoor Christmas pine and birch arrangement in a heavy hanging pot.  My husband tends to detest Christmas decorations...at least in his own house.  However the way this one is arranged, with  2 sawn off birch branches sticking out of the centre of the pine boughs reminds him of the Japanese kadomatsu (replacing the birch with 2 branches of bamboo) and so he forked out over $35 for the thing. hahahaha SO unlike him.  Me and my fake Christmas tree and now himself with his imitation kadomatsu. hahaha  We are getting soft in our old age, aren't we?  The arrangement in its hanging pot is extremely heavy but he walked it all the way home, stopping to rest every so often along the way.  Hilarious!  It is far too heavy to hang outside on anything around here and the winter winds between now and Christmas would eventually blow it off and smash it on the deck, so he has it sitting outside the door, Japanese style.  It has a scattering of huge fake red berries and red tartan ribbon and 2 giant snow-sprayed pine cones as well.......why is it that so often aging translates to "tacky"???  What a pair we are this year!  Well, we do have lots of Christmas company this year and so why not just enjoy the festive decorations of the season as we attempt to spruce the place up a bit....no, wait, that would be pine, not spruce...teehee. 

For those of you who have been praying for Robert, as I suspected his brief, near miraculous rally last week that brought him back home after a bad scare that took him to hospital in serious condition, was the precursor to active dying.  The family  just called me to tell me he has about 48 hours to live. They are racing to his side to say their goodbyes.  Sounds like he is ready to go and I am glad all the suffering for him will soon be over. Now it is time for prayers to be directed to his family.  He is not an old man.  So that is 2 friends this week who have lost and are losing a close brother.  It is so difficult for those of us left behind when a loved on dies.

Guess I should go and join my husband for his hour of tv break: he has been watching a special about the real "Great Escape".  Architects and archeologists are digging up the old "Harry Tunnel" and others at a POW camp in Poland that saw the escape of nearly 100 British, European and Canadian soldiers during WW2.  Most interesting to me are the interviews with some of the men who hoped to be escapees, (only 76 of 200 men prepared to escape actually made it out before the plan was discovered by German guards and of those 76 only 3 were not recaptured...about 50 of those recaptured were executed.), still living who talked about how incredibly realistic Hollywood's version of "The Great Escape" movie was....other than the main character played by Steve McQueen. They said there were not really any Americans involved in their feat, but enjoyed the rest of the movie very much for its accurate portrayal of their circumstances at that time.  


Tomorrow is the first Sunday of Advent.  My church is having a lay led Morning Prayer service.  My husband is going to be able to attend, in civvies, and just enjoy being a member of the congregation before heading off to work for the rest of the day.  I will go to choir rehearsal again tomorrow afternoon, newly confident that I just may know what I am doing with those songs after all.  
  

No comments: