Friday, February 10, 2017

Yogurt Sweeteners

I am becoming somewhat particular about my choice of yogurt for daily consumption.

Health issues mean I have learned to enjoy 0% milk fat yogurt. I ingest each day, as a rule, 100 grams of yogurt that contain 5grams of carbohydrate, 4 of them sugar.

Last week I was shopping in a hurry so I grabbed a 16 pack of Iogo single servings, not realizing the yogurt was sweetened with stevia. Hmmmm.....not my favourite sweetener for fruit filled yogurt. The slight bitterness of the stevia overpowers the delicate fruit flavours and the texture of the yogurt feels on my tongue like there is a film of flour all over it.  To add insult to injury, when I checked the Nutritional Value label, I discovered each single pack contains 9 grams of carb, 7 of them sugar. Sigh....  When you have diabetes those small number differences do make a difference to your blood sugar numbers as well.

So, I think next week, when my packs of stevia sweetened yogurt have been consumed, I will return to my regular Iogo or Source brand 0% yogurts. The stevia doesn't seem to work for me.

1 comment:

chris e. said...

Stevia tastes like freshly mown grass smells, at least to me. Good on lawns, not in food!