Friday, April 7, 2017

Dang It....Caught Out By My Own Body!! Traitor!!!

So....just back from a glorious sunshiny walk to and from the doctor's office and time for public confession of my own shameful dietary actions!  Sigh...

CAUGHT red handed....or fat blooded, as the case may be.

As I suspected, the culprit leading to a call from the doctor is my cholesterol level.  My level of HDL's (happy damned lipids) is well within acceptable range...low if anything, but my LDL's (lousy damned lipids) have taken a gross hike over the past 6 months since my last test.  Sigh.....the worst part is that I have no one to blame but myself....sigh, sigh, sigh.......SIGH!!!!!

In my attempt to keep my blood sugar within non-diabetic range, which I have amply succeeded at, hallelujah, I have to admit I have been cheating far too often on my intake of higher fat cheeses, even lower fat cheeses, hummus, fried and deep fried foods...knowingly even...not even in denial about what it could be doing to my body and yet flagrantly, defiantly, breaking all those particular rules I know I have to keep with my diet as a whole.  Dang, it, dang it, dang it!!  I have allowed my taste buds and their cravings for more interesting flavours to override my common sense for several months in a row and now I am paying the price.

I was too embarrassed to tell my doctor I all ready have the pamphlet she gave me today on what the best foods are for lowering cholesterol and what foods to avoid.  In fact I have had it for over 3 years now, ever since my diabetes diagnosis.  For well over 2 years I have stuck to the plan, but a few months ago I started going hog wild with fatty foods.  Duh......dumb and dumber.....

I do appreciate my doctor though.  She told me she is giving me 3 months to lower it once again and if I am unsuccessful we are going straight to medications, the very ones I want so desperately to avoid.  She read me the riot act about my family history of cardio-vascular disease and why my chances of getting it are double even for a person who has normal cholesterol counts. She went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on while I hung my head in shame.  Deep sigh......... Her smiling assurance that I could get myself under control again did not mitigate the feelings of disappointment I have in myself.

My doctor takes good care of me. I do not want to disrespect her by ignoring my dietary sins any longer.  I do not want to take cholesterol reducing medications unless my own attempts to be stricter about my diet do not lower the count sufficiently.  I am all ready exercising more than required every day, so now I must pay attemtion to my food intake once again.

Bad Suzie, bad, bad, bad, bad.......waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

Be alerted all you green salads with no dressing and cooked green and orange veggies with no margarine, not even the non-hydrogenated oil containing kind.......I'm baaaaaaack!!!

No comments: