Friday, April 21, 2017

Time To Cut the Ties That Bind

Do you ever find yourself involved in some kind of group or activity or social scene that you know you have to let go of because it isn't fulfilling, or isn't good for you, or that you are hanging onto in desperation because you can't see anything else to do with your time?  

Have you reached the point where it is clear you have to let go of that particular activity, group or scene even though you don't know what you will replace it with?

While it can be scary to let go of things or people you have spent a fair amount of time with and invested time and effort into, I have learned over the years that once you have cut yourself free, it isn't usually long before a more fulfilling, safer, more exciting activity or group appears.  Sometimes there is a bit of lag time, but because you are free of something you have been hanging onto for the wrong reasons, you are then more open and able to see the newer, better opportunities as they come along.

I have learned over the years that clinging onto something or someone because you can't imagine a replacement that is any better is a good way to hamper yourself from growing, from being fulfilled, from being less stressed all the time, from being where God wants you to be for his own reasons.

Tonight I had an answer to a prayer of my own about what to do about a  situation I have been involved in for the past couple of years.  I knew the answer would definitely arrive this evening and it did, but it certainly was not the answer I was expecting.  Once I got over the shock and started to think about it, I realized I have been set free.  When you have committed the answer to a prayer to the Lord, knowing how trustworthy his answers are, then even if the answer is not what you were hoping for or expecting, there will be a good reason for it and you can get over the surprise fairly quickly and get on the path toward finding a better direction for your energies.  The answer for me was not manufactured by myself to achieve a certain outcome....the situation that provided the answer was completely out of my hands, a decision that was made by other people and I believe that God in his wisdom gave them the discernment they needed to give me the answer I received.

It was interesting to me how, after clinging on and clinging on in desperation and hoping for a good outcome I likely would never get, the Lord gave such immediate grace to allow me to let go so thoroughly and quickly...to the point where I have all ready figured out a new pursuit to try. It may not turn out to be the right thing either, but I am excited to see what happens in the coming weeks. 

Instead of feeling anxious and stressed over the old situation like I have been for quite some time, I feel as light as a feather.  Moving on can be a good thing...a right thing...even if there is nothing obviously wrong or bad about a current situation, but you know in your heart it is not really the place for you to be.

So Lord, what next?  Some excellent and uplifting possibilities exist.

No comments: