Thursday, April 6, 2017

Well, We WERE Solvent For This Month......

....until I went to the dentist this morning rather unexpectedly.  My new crown was to go on next Wednesday, but it arrived at the office this morning and I got a call to come in if possible.  Away I went, all happy, survived the removal of the temporary crown and all that glue and the application of the new crown without any freezing, so I was pretty full of myself on my way from the dental chair to the front desk to make my final payment.  

Crash..........

It turns out our dental plan has changed as of this year, although my husband was never notified about it.  What used to be maxiumum annual coverage of 50% of crowns is now the maxiumum annual coverage...period!  Once that amount is spent on anything at all, there is no more coverage for anything.  I was so shocked when I was handed the bill that I must have turned paler than usual.  The receptionist asked me if I was about to pass out from the discomfort of the dental session, but I was too embarrassed to tell her why I actually felt faint. hahahahaha  I paid the bill then came home and contacted my husband's insurance company, who gave me the "good news" about their plan change and an apology that apparently my husband didn't receive the notice of the changes in the mail. The lady will be glad to send me another copy of the notice, no problem.  Sigh.....

Well, I am over the shock now that I understand what is going on.  The bill has been paid.  All will be well.  It just means I had better not break any more teeth or develop any more cavities between now and next January when the plan coverage rolls over again.  

Although it was a terrible shock, at least we do get some help with dental coverage each year.  It isn't much now, not nearly enough despite the massive deductions for it from my husband's monthly earnings, but it is something at least.  I remember how terrible the years were when my husband was so ill, barely surviving being self-employed and there were no dental appointments even when they were necessary.  

Life has changed for the better in recent years.  My surprise about this recent dental bill is tempered by the fact that I could actually pay it.  I didn't have to put it on my credit card and then spend the next few weeks freaking out about how we could ever afford to cover the cost. Thank you Lord for that!

No comments: