Thursday, April 13, 2017

What Some Families Have To Suffer......

I received a bit of a shock just now....long story short, I saw an obituary a few minutes ago in The Calgary Herald for the son of friends we used to be close to years ago but have fallen out of touch with. The fellow was only 35. Doing some other online searching I also discovered his only slightly older sister died unexpectedly less than three years ago. Their father also passed away in the interim between the deaths of his two children and so did all four of their grandparents. That leaves their mother, younger than ourselves by several years, all alone. Her siblings passed away years ago, also at relatively young ages. Sigh......I feel so very sad for her. I can't even imagine how she must be feeling today as she plans the funeral of her remaining child. Wow, I am going to be praying a lot over the coming days for her.

We received an invitation in the mail today to a 50th anniversary event for other old friends we haven't seen in awhile. It is happening during our summer holiday time so we may attend....or not. Their family is highly dysfunctional and we received the invite from one of their kids who has not communicated with us quite deliberately for nearly a decade. If we go will we end up refereeing their family members once again, or will we have to witness the various family members pretending they don't even know each other? It wouldn't be the first time. Sigh..... I am sure we will go to support these old friends, but it is so sad that such a joyous occasion could result in a ton of stress for everyone there. Sigh......

I almost feel guilty for the degree of functionality in my own family.  Yes, we have our issues, but we are managing them fairly well. Other families experience so much pain. Time to go pray for my hurting friends......

No comments: