Saturday, June 3, 2017

O Glorious Day!!

The sun is shining, the wind is blowing the mosquitos around, I have shovelled up yesterday afternoon's dump of goose poop along the path to the car, I am almost completely packed up for travelling and now it is time to shower and dress.  Then I will have to get myself to relax while waiting for my husband to get home this afternoon from his meeting and help him cram the seemingly endless amount of gift boxes, suitcases, briefcases and food coolers into the car.  How can two people who are travelling for LESS than 2 weeks possibly require this much "stuff"?????

Since we are not on holidays until Monday and are spending the weekend at a parish in distress, my husband has to drag along his clergy clothing bag stuffed with albs and stoles and what have you. Since we are both on special diets we are taking a large food box and a cooler, packed tightly with breakfast and snack foods.  We are taking our lovely picnic pack of dishes and cutlery so we can eat breakfast in hotel rooms that do not have any dishes provided. We have 2 large stuff bags filled with bedding and camp mattresses to accommodate my husband's need to sleep on the floor and to make sure our son has bedding when he arrives in Calgary to stay with us in my parents' facility guest room.  We discovered the last time he joined us there that there is apparently no extra bedding or pillows or mattresses to be found around the place and my parents have pared down their own linens to the bare necessities. Since we want to keep ourselves from going completely insane during rest times we have a box with laptops, cell phones, ipads and their chargers.  My husband has his duffel bag of clothes. I have my suitcase jammed full of clothes because I can never decide ahead of time what will be comfortable to wear on any given day and I want choices!! I have a large tote purse arrangement for my hygiene items, books and extra footwear.  I have a bag with my raincoat and hiking boots stuffed into it because there appears to be a tremendous amount of rain forecast in Calgary during our visit.  Who knows what else either of us will come up with between now and later today that we absolutely "need" to take with us? Sigh.....

O how well I remember the days when I could simply grab a couple of changes of clothes, deodorant, toothbrush and paste, a hairbrush and a novel to read, toss them all in a small back pack and hit the road for a few weeks.  WHAT CHANGED????  Why do I need all this stuff now????  I guess the older I get the more I need to feel comfortable all the time.  Sigh.......

So soon my husband and I will be doing what we do best:  road tripping!!  The joy of this trip is that it is so broken up.  The day we drive home will be our longest drive and that will only be about six hours. All the other travel days we are driving between 3 and 4 hours a day...how perfect is that??

Well, we may not be going anywhere particularly wonderful this year, but at least we are going somewhere!!  I am feeling more excited this morning than I have been so far. Things are looking up! 

ROAD TRIP!!!  YAY!!!!!!

2 comments:

Susan Erlenbach said...

Have an awesome holiday! May it be a refreshing change and may you feel refreshed and encouraged!

Susan said...

Thanks Susan...you know we will be thinking of you and Bill and that soon to be grandbaby birth! Will be in touch as soon as we get back...or before if I can get the WiFi signal working where we are staying in Calgary...always interesting at that place, hahaha. Let us know if the baby comes before we return...and what we are supposed to call you as grandparents! YIPPEE!! Love to you and all your family.