Thursday, June 1, 2017

Today It Finally Hit Me......

...that we are not going anywhere very interesting this year for our holiday time. 

Sigh........

Yes, it will be wonderful to see all the family and a few friends.  I am so looking forward to that part of the holiday. However, being limited to the "same old, same old" towns and cities in Alberta as our travel destinations is not at all exciting, particularly since we will be sitting around at home and doing home related work projects in between trips.  There will be no ocean view this year, no fern forests, no exceptional ethnic restaurants, no speedboats and ferries, no laid back walks along the beach......

I crave visual scenic splendor the way an addict craves her next fix.  I found it so very diffcult after we left beautiful Japan to be back in rural Alberta. It bothered me for nearly two years after we got home.  We had a few months' break on Vancouver Island not long after we arrived back in Canada and I cried leaving there almost as much as I did when we left Tokyo.  I cry every year on the plane back from Vancouver after our annual holiday there, because we are returning to what is to me, the visual wasteland of Saskatchewan.  

I don't know why I am like this.  I grew up in Calgary, for heaven's sake.  Other than the mountain view in the west, and mountains are not my favourite scenery either, there wasn't a lot to recommend the place visually...more than here, but still there is not the lushness of the flora in a coastal city. 

This year I am not getting my annual ocean "fix" and it is bothering me.  Maybe my husband can eke out a few days off in middle autumn for a quick flight out that way.  I could go by myself well enough as I know the city and know where I would most enjoy visiting and staying, but going with my husband is half the fun because he is so laid back and relaxed when we are there.

Anyway, I know for sure we will have a good time this year in Alberta.  I am just feeling kind of blue tonight because things are different this year, a change has happened what with my son moving and my parents being more needy than they have been, necessitating more time with them.  

I will miss spending time at the coast this month, but I am not going to let that spoil the travels we do have! 

Guess I better shut down this machine and get to bed.  There is a heck of a lightning storm happening so I want to shut down the computer before the weather shuts it down for me!

2 comments:

Susan Erlenbach said...

I hear you! The ocean and mountains are healing. A side trip to Banff?

Susan said...

I may do that for a day on my own to give my husband and son time together alone. My husband is with mountains like I am with oceans. If he can't be out actually climbing them, it is too hard on his emotions and he would rather not go at all, hahaha.