Thursday, June 15, 2017

We're Laid Back Here in Saskatchewan, Yup, Yup, Yup!

Today I was reminded that even employees in the most professional of public services can forget their professional manners and give me no end of laughter by some of the things they say out loud in the work place.  hahahahaha

Getting my new drivers license photo this afternoon is a prime example of the general social culture here.  hahahahaha

After the agent took my photograph she took some time to look at it to ensure it had turned out according to specified standard, then she compared it with my present license photo.  Instead of keeping her thoughts to herself...in other words instead of being polite/tactful/socially adept....she said, "O my!  You look a lot better in this new picture!!  You look younger even.  O my! The one you have now is really bad isn't it?"  Sigh....yup, there is a totally professional comment from a licensing agent who is trained to work each and every day with the general public...speaking of "O my"!! hahahaha

My response was, "Yes, in the old photo I look rather like an escaped convict.", to which she answered, "O my, you certainly do!!!"  Sigh......it was a truly dreadful picture, but did I really need my nose rubbed in it?  Did I really?  O my....I guess I did!  hahahahaha 

I was chuckling as I walked out of the license bureau, but I was also thinking that in Alberta, B.C., Quebec or Ontario, there is a good chance that agent would be facing some kind of defamatory lawsuit had she said such a thing to a client there. 

Today is one of the few times I found the laid back social attitude of a prairie person more amusing than upsetting, so good on me, but it did get me thinking about the difference in culture between here and everywhere else I have lived.  Kudos to Saskatchewanians for still being free to be so open and honest, but I wonder how long it will be before that has to change to protect themselves from the onslaught of people who feel it is their right and privilege to take offense at every word coming out of someone else's mouth.  For once I am quite glad that Saskatchewan tends to be a more realistic area where people do not have to live in as much fear of what comes out of their own mouths as they do elsewhere in this country that once not only espoused but actually practised freedom of speech.

No comments: