Thursday, April 19, 2018

A Couple of Good Days!

Time has flown past quickly this week it seems. It is all ready Friday evening and we are sitting in a motel in Kindersley, looking out the window at the rather elderly canoe strapped to the top of our car.

After breakfast this morning, I took mom grocery shopping, then we left my parents after lots of goodbye hugs and headed for Olds to pick up my husband’s canoe that friends have been storing for over 16 years! Friend Harvey assisted us in wrestling the big old thing out of a snowbank and strapping it to the car roof. After a quick and delicious lunch together at Just Jack’s, ,my husband and I headed east.

We only had to stop a couple of times to adjust the placement of the canoe, before arriving in Kindersley. By the time we got to the hotel we were far too tired to go out for dinner. As my husband made an error when booking the reservation online, we arrived to discover that instead of being booked in for one reservation this evening,we had been booked for three reservations for tomorrow evening instead! haha It took awhile, but eventually it was straightened out.

We saw the local Subway sandwich shop across our hotel ‘s parking lot, so we shuffled over there and got two subs to eat back at the hotel, where I am now blogging andmy husband is dozing in front of a 1946 movie version of Great Expectations. I suspect we will be asleep before long. Wow, we are tired!

Yesterday I was able to get a clearer picture ofhkwmuch mom has failed physically. She was desperate to have time for just the two of us, so early in the morning we took the bus downtown. It stopped outside the Bay and momwas able to complete her clothes shopping within an hour. The she was determined to walk me through all the retail stores in the plus 15 shopping complex between the Bay and Holt Renfrew, but she couldn’t manage it. We covered the second floor of stores,very few we actually shopped in,then at 11:30am, she decided she was ready to sit down and eat lunch. Inmy next post I will explain why it was a fiasco, but for now, sufficeto say we eventually ate, then decided, after remaining at our table for a good half hour,it was time to check out the stores at ground level.

We walked less than half a city block when I noticed mom looking distressed and stopping to fish through her purse for acid reflux medication. She hasn’t needed to use it on months. Fortunately there were some soft, comfy chairs in the mall, right near to where momwas standing, popping pills like crazy. We sat quietly for a good 20 minutes before she was ready/able to stand. I told her I didn’t to look in any more stores, so perhaps it was time to go home. Mom then admitted her legs had been feeling too weak to walk since before we stopped for lunch and that she had not actually been farther into the plus 15 complex than the Bay in nearly two years! She had to sit down two more times on our way back to the bus stop outside the Bay. As a result we just missed the bus, but she enjoyed sitting on the bus bench in the sunshine for 20 minutes until the next bus came.

When the bus dropped us off across the street from her seniors’ facility, she had to hang onto my arm to get across the road and into the building.  I supported her until we reached her suite and fortunately she had a few minutes to rest before my husband brought my very happy and excited dad homefrom his own successful clothes shopping/lunch venture.  Although his specific health issues are more deadly than mom’s, the depth of her exhaustion simply from walking, was shocking. I will never let her go through something like that again when I am with her. I am glad I was able to see for myself that she is no longer the strong senior citizen she continues to try to convince me she still is.

We left her and dad at dinner time, knowing they were both relieved we had other plans with my husband’s sister and her husband. (Chinese food at an old and beloved haunt, the Silver Dragon)

We had a fabulous evening with them, then checked in on my folks at 9pm. Mom was recovering, but admitted this morning the time shopping was far too strenuous and that she missed dinner to sleep.

The weather has been warming with every passing day. The snowfall from Monday’s storm was nearly melted by this morning. The sun has been shining and it seems spring is finally on the threshold. A lovely two days, even mom is happy despite her problems yesterday.

Ooooh, I am tired! I will finish off the report on the trip after we get home tomorrow.


Susan Erlenbach said...

Wow what an adventure By the way, it's Thursday 😉

Susan said...

Yes, as noted, my iPad is having issues. I think the battery is dying. Poop!

Susan Erlenbach said...

Sucky😣 I sure enjoy your blog posts😀