Today turned out a bit differently than expected, but happily so!! My husband woke up early enough to get over to our friend's place to work on part one of his outdoor carpentry project for over two hours before the temperature became too hot for him to work, so less than two more hours of work some morning between now and Monday will complete the project. He is delighted to find himself still able to repair fences and dig and spread quantities of dirt about to prepare a flat surface for the rest of the project he is building. Kudos to him for continuing to enjoy doing woodworking and other projects to keep himself from spending every day in his own head pondering various philosophical and theological issues!
We chatted briefly about the trip to the telephone company he originally planned for immediately upon his arrival home from the outdoor building project and decided that late in the morning, closer to noon, is the worst time to go and stand in line waiting to see an agent, particularly after my husband spent the earlier morning outside in the growing heat. So, we waited until after lunch instead and drove to our travel insurance agent's office instead and purchased our travel/health insurance for our trip. She had time to see us immediately, got the plan put together, I paid for it....about eight hundred dollars less than I was expecting, YES, and the entire process took less than a half hour. Depending on what time my husband wakes up in the morning, we will likely do the telephone plan then or wait until immediately after his early morning doctor's appointment on Monday morning.
The joy for me this morning is that as my husband calculated how long he was going to need to complete the first part of his carpentry project, he realized that since we weren't going to have to rush off immediately afterwards to get in line for a telephone agent, I should call my coffee buddy and see if there was any chance if she could use her and her husband's car to come to our place so we could have our usual weekly chit chat. SHE COULD, so SHE DID and it was a lovely surprise for us both to still be able to get together. I am so grateful that my husband thought it through and presented the possibility to me and I am grateful to my buddy's husband that he was willing to give up whatever plans he had made for himself this morning that required his own use of the car so that his wife could visit with me.
Just before we left for the trek to the travel insurance agent another friend called and asked if I could come to visit with her after our appointment. YES, I COULD and I DID! It was another excellent heart to heart visit that lasted well over two hours. It was worth driving back home after that in rush hour traffic! Still got some home chores done as soon as I arrived home.
Last night at about 3am the box fan, that I use for white noise so that I can sleep through the traffic and other noises here during the night, gave up. Bearings whining and screeching were likely loud enough to wake the neighbours on the other side of the wall as well....wow....it was so terribly loud and horrific to listen to that I expected to see smoke and/or flames coming out of the fan. No such distress, BUT I had to shut it off and unplug it and prepare it to go into the garbage today. While I was out at my friend's this afternoon my husband got online and researched where in this town we could find an identical replacement, so as soon as I arrived home we headed out to Home Building Supplies and came home with exactly what I wanted: a clone of Fan Number One. Plus it was on sale, so that was a bonus. It is now hooked up, checked thoroughly to ensure it is working properly and I look forward to a stress free sleep tonight with it whirring efficiently in the background.
I seem to be getting more acclimated to the heat as this week rolls along. The big blankets my husband has on rollers are up in the east facing windows so that the radiant heat from the morning sun doesn't cause the entire suite to overheat by 9am! Tonight all the windows on both floors are wide open and although it will be a fairly warm night, there is just a slight bit of cooler breeze coming through. If the forest fire smoke is as high in the atmosphere as it has been the past two nights I won't have to close the windows before the usual closing time of 9am to keep the suite bearable for temperature as the day progresses.
My walking partner just returned from a life long dream trip to the UK and I can't wait to hear about her adventures there. She said she took thousands of photos and I hope she realizes I am going to want to arm chair travel and see every single one of them, hahahaha. I believe her ancestors came from somewhere in the UK, as some of mine did, so I am really stoked to learn what she discovered about her ancestral roots. It was most considerate of her to take part of the trip my husband and I were planning to take before our son decided we should come to NYC instead, hahaha. She has covered that ground for us....God bless her!!
It will be another couple of degrees warmer tomorrow as we head for the weekly highest daytime temperature of +36C on Saturday....no change in forecast in sight as the low to mid range +30C temperatures are to extend well into next week. Our idea this spring and summer of going out for walks at least 3 times a week got lost somewhere between the 3 weeks of extreme daily rainfall and the ensuing heat wave, so all I can do is refuse to use my cane every time we go anywhere and try to do as much necessary shopping as I can in large grocery stores and shopping malls. My operated hip and the surrounding muscles are slowly strengthening despite the aborted longer walks outside attempts, so that is most encouraging. However I am taking my cane on our trip next month "just in case". With the other hip starting to disintegrate now I am not sure how the trip will go if I don't have support available for the massive amount of walking we will be doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment