I suppose for many people this hymn by J. Lincoln Hall and Frank E. Graeff, 1901, would be considered very old indeed. However some of the songs we sing regularly in our own church are from the 1700's. So age is relative in this case. While to younger folk the lyrics are sappy and the tune terribly corny, to older folk like me there is a lot of truth in these sappy lyrics. For us it reaches to the heart of a personal relationship with Jesus that has been sorely tested over several decades....what difference does he make to me as I go through life suffering its problems along with everyone else? One of our worship leaders once said that songs like this just play on our emotions and are the worst kinds of hymns, but I have to disagree with her just a bit. Sometimes the emotions need to be exercised within the safe boundary of Jesus' loving arms. We have emotions and sometimes they need to be directed back to the source of their creation. Here are the lyrics of the hymn:
1. Does Jesus care when my heart is pained too deeply for mirth and song?
As the burdens press and the cares distress, and the way grows weary and long?
2. Does Jesus care when my way is dark with a nameless dread and fear?
As the daylight fades into deep night shades, does he care enough to be near?
3. Does Jesus care when I've tried and failed to resist some temptation strong?
When for my deep grief I find no relief, though my tears flow all the night long?
4. Does Jesus care when I've said goodbye to the dearest on earth to me?
And my sad heart aches 'til it nearly breaks, is it aught to him, does he see?
Chorus:
Oh yes he cares; I know he cares. His heart is touched with my grief.
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary, I know my Saviour cares!
Is it theologically correct? Is it too personal and based on emotion? Is it simply a tear jerker? Don't know, don't care......just know it brings me closer to him when I struggle with the cares of this world. If you don't know this dear old hymn that your gran or great gran probably loved, see if you can google or youtube it and hear it for yourself. It may encourage you sometime when you least expect it to.
3 comments:
I'll have to look this one up! I don't recognize, but I kind of like it. :)
Is it this one?
http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/h/695
Hi Leah: yes it is the one from the link you sent me.
Post a Comment