Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Tale of 2 Churches

"O come to the church in the wildwood,
O come to the church in the vale....".

A pastor friend of mine told me an interesting tale recently.  He, like my husband, has a 2 point parish.  One church, not the wealtiest of the 2, and with a small congregation, knows a lot about giving of their time, talents and money.  The whole community knows about this little church because they have a representative at every community event, they give to every charity in the town and even assist churches of other denominations in their fund raising for missions and seminars.  They help out at every nursing home and provide services and music regularly there and elsewhere.  They pulled together every remaining financial resource at year end and gave my pastor friend a bonus that was so huge it left him in tears.  Other individuals in that congregation gave him personal cheques, baking, gift certificates........the outpouring of gratitude for his work among them and in their town was nearly embarrassing. They trust God to restore their fortunes and they give and give as a matter of habit.   But he has another congregation.  They live in constant fear about the state of their finances.  They are terrified to give anything to anyone very often.  They are worried constantly about the state of their accounts.  They do not wish to tithe to ministry or outreach. They do not wish apparently to have a godly reputation for service in the community.  The contrast is outstanding. Giving outward vs hiding inward.  It makes me look at myself and analyze anew my own reasons/fears/joys connected to giving to others.  Am I being faithful in my own tithing to outreach and mission and to my own church affiliations?  Am I constantly reminding myself of how God has used each gift I have given to bless not only others but even myself in the process?  I am glad I talked to my pastor friend and that he shared his concerns with me for his churches.  God has always restored my own finances or "stuff" when I haven't been afraid to let it go for the sake of others.  Am I still willing to be giving or am I wrapped up in my own needs these days?  A good thing to reflect on at this season known for giving and helps.

1 comment:

Leah C. said...

I feel this at Christmas - the dilemma between spending with my means but also blessing others with gifts at the same time.

But you have reminded me of God's faithfulness - He's never NOT replenished what I've given with a thankful heart! (and even often replenishes what I've given when I'm not-so-thankful). :)