Thursday, December 29, 2011

Simple pleasures

A nice thing about not having any distractions these days is that I can enjoy the simplest things.  I can take time to notice things like breakfast!  haha  Today I had blueberry yogourt and swiss cheese and 2 wonderful specialty crackers. (one was fig and olive, the other was apricot and rosemary)  And lunch!  Dell made amazing chicken curry, brown basmati rice and Indian spiced vegetables...a little sweet and sour cabbage, carrot, onion dish that set up against the hot curry so nicely. The Indian herbs we picked up in Calgary a few weeks ago are authentic and fun to learn to use. Dell makes excellent Italian food but he excells at Indian cuisine.  For dinner I am finishing off the last of a casserole lovingly provided by a friend.  It will be salty and meaty, hearty, and prairie delicious. After a one month withdrawal from any kind of fast food, overdose of sugar, and using carbs to cheat on the food preparation time,  I am becoming so attuned again to the nuances in the herbs and spices that just eating a meal is a joy.  Small amounts of wonderful food are more fulfilling than great huge helpings of carbs and fats.  Having a second helping of any of these amazing dishes is to ruin the experience.  Rediscovering the joy of eating slowly and savoring each flavour is making mealtimes a wonderful source of entertainment and fun.  And there is no feeling of needing snacks in between meals.  A snack would cheapen the mealtime experience because half the fun is waiting..........yum! When I can walk again and start cooking I have a whole array of new things to try preparing, and a better appreciation of taking the time to do it properly.   

No comments: