Friday, December 30, 2011

When All Else Fails, Watch Movies

Since it is going to be a long winter spent indoors I have decided to try to watch a movie every day or every second day to pass the time and to get my head out of the house for a couple of hours.  It may be more difficult than I ever imagined as there are so few worth watching. For the most part I refuse to use rentals because I have the movie channels on my satellite dish that I am all ready paying for....okay, I am a cheapskate.
So far I have seen:

Red Riding Hood:  an amazing amount of sillyness filmed basically on one small set.  By the time the surprise came at the end I didn't care and the biggest surprise of all was how that much sillyness could be filmed on basically one small set.

True Grit (the new version):  nice that it lost the smarmyness of the original and was more enjoyably adult, but....

True Grit (the original)....I am a sucker for John Wayne and Disney type smarmyness and I still love this one. 

Hook:  have always loved the first 45-60 minutes of this movie.  For me it degenerated once the Peter Pan adventures actually started, but the intro is most interesting and it draws me in every time.

The Adjustment Bureau:  an ode to humanism that is none the less somewhat witty and a lot of good fun.

Jane Eyre (newest version):  Dame Judy Dench was the only actor I recognized in this agonizingly slow moving yet cinematographically beautiful rendition.  I loved it.

The Lord of the Rings triology:  Not much of a fantasy movie fan and first saw these on a 13 inch tv screen, ho hum.  I enjoyed them more than I thought I would, probably because I never was a fan of J. R. Tolkien. Since I have no imagination I admit that I found The Hobbit, for example, a crashing bore.  I did enjoy seeing these movies again on a MUCH larger tv screen, letting the director create the visual images that will help me enjoy the books in future. I enjoy Liv Tyler as an actor.  She's been in some real dud movies and deserves better...like LotR's.

27 Dresses: I know I watched it but what exactly was it about and who was in it?  Did I stay awake???

Baby Mama:Puleeeeeeeeze........NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Almost reneged on my agreement with myself to watch each movie to the end....which is why I won't even start watching any movies with Ben Stiller or Adam Sandler or Will Farrell or any other of the apparently many bathroom joke actors pretending to be comedians.

 Kung Fu Panda:  I LOVE this little movie.  It is humorous and cute and if I can't always buy into its world view, it is still such fun I don't care.  Kung Fu Panda 2 is a big let down but still love the characters.

The Shrek Trilogy:  Was forced kicking and screaming to see the first one, laughed and laughed so was eager to see the other 2.  Such crazy fun!

Despicable Me: a great little animated film!  I just loved it, loved the humour, loved the message and moral of the story.  This and the ones listed above have redeemed the whole animated genre for me.  Stopped watching cartoons when I was 6.  Great to find some full length ones that adults can truly enjoy without resorting to the basest kinds of humour.

Okay, it is going to be a long winter, but this is going to be a fun project with so little to watch on network television these days.  (other than Parenthood which I never miss)  Oh, and I promise not to discuss every movie I watch.......seriously, I won't....promise......

No comments: