We were "up 'n' at 'em" by 8am today; breakfasted and dressed and ready to go by 9am. We wanted to get to our nearest post office branch before it got busy and we were successful in that. It took just over five minutes to arrange for our mail to be held while we are away and then we were on our way home again.
The plumbers are supposed to come today to suss out our leakage issues but we knew they likely wouldn't get here until later in the day. So at nearly 3pm we are still waiting, but that is just fine. It is highly likely they got held up on another job, so if they don't get here today they will be here tomorrow and one of us should be home most all day to explain the problem to them. Who knows when arrangements will be made for the issue to actually be repaired, right? We know from our years in construction how the best laid plans in the trades can come apart within seconds, leaving the next customer waiting longer than arranged for originally. That is just how it goes sometimes.
Once we arrived home from the post office my husband headed over to our friends' house to complete the building of canoe racks for their and our canoes, so I stupidly asked myself, "Hmmm, I wasn't expecting to be done with the post office this early so what shall I do for the rest of today?" Dumb, dumb, dumb.....I barely got the question asked when things began to happen. I realized it was time to put a load of my husband's clothes into the laundry and some of it needed stain spray...that man never remembers to put on his chef's sized apron when he is stir frying with hot, spattering oil.....and I wanted to get that finished before the plumbers might arrive and have to turn off the main water valve. Just got that in when my next door neighbour arrived with a giant tote bag filled with more bags of rice and rolled oats that, when added to what she has already brought us since the end of June, could combine to feed a lumber camp crew for an entire summer. In the top of the bag were two large bunches of carrots and a giant head of broccoli, both veggies needing immediate attention. So, I spent the next hour cutting off carrot tops and peeling and bagging them for my husband to make soup out of, perhaps tomorrow. Then I chopped the heavy, tough stem off the head of broccoli, removed a section for our dinner tonight then cut the rest of it into somewhat smaller pieces, blanched the whole works, cooled all the pieces and bagged them for the freezer. Originally I had hoped to have the freezer and most of the refrigerator free of any food items before we left town, but that isn't going to happen, so all we can do is pray our refrigerator, poor ancient scratched stained ugly old thing that it is, doesn't break down while we are gone. So thankful our friend is checking in several times a week to water plants and check things like basement flooding and dead refrigerators. God bless her!!
After lunch I got the load of clothes dried and sorted, but I think I will wait and iron them tomorrow. For some reason our lunch preparations resulted in more than the usual amount of dirty dishes, so I spent a fair bit of time tidying up the kitchen and washing plates and glasses and bowls and pots and and and and....
Now as I write this I am waiting for my son to call in regard to some mutual banking arrangements we need to make together in regard to our trip. Those arrangements will dictate how I spend the rest of the next ten days in preparing to go.
Tomorrow morning if I am looking at a chunk of free time after I iron the laundry I washed today I think I will just keep my questions about further chores for the day to myself! Hohoho!!! I certainly can't whine today about not getting enough exercise. I have lost count of how many times I have been up and down both flights of stairs and how long I spent standing in the kitchen doing various chores.
That part is ALL good!!! My hip muscles on the operated leg are finally beginning to strengthen up to cover up the fact that the tendon has not returned to full operation. YAY! I thought I was done with all of the healing and restoration process, but no! That 18 month time frame for complete or nearly complete healing is still in effect for me for the next 5 months apparently. I am delighted and relieved as I see the limp finally beginning to lessen even when I am walking farther than usual without my cane. Thank you God.
No comments:
Post a Comment