Saturday, August 1, 2026

A Rough Morning!

The day is not off to the best start: I am not sure if it is because our local fair is underway and the city is filled with out of town visitors, more opportunities to drink and carouse, or if the heat is finally getting to people in a negative way, but it has been a wild night on the streets outside our place: motorcyclists popping wheelies and hollering as they raced down the street outside the bedroom window,  residents from one of the units near us having shrieking screaming meltdowns while outside on their phones, our neighbours next door receiving late night company whose tiny tots thumped and banged and hollered and bashed about until nearly 3am, crows cawing at top volume pretty much all night very unusually, groups of ear splitting muffler-less cars back firing incessantly while street racing, people waiting for the last transit bus just after midnight laughing and talking very loudly indeed for twenty minutes until the bus arrived and a few minutes ago four young adult fellows in matching tee shirts and pants, higher than kites on something or other, decided to have a fist fight on the front lawn followed by a loud and blubbering repentance: “Oh bro, I am so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. Oh, forgive me bro, I love you bro! Waaaah, waaaaah, waaaah….I’m soooooorrrrryyyyy…waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh….”  (Said injured bro was not badly injured enough to prevent him from staggering to his feet, clutching his attacker in a sloppy bear hug and noisily gulping out no end of curse laden forgiveness.)

Sigh….even my white noise machine was unable to cover the noise sufficiently to allow me to sleep through the hollering and traffic noise and fighting. It is now just after 5:30am and I have had less than four consecutive hours of sleep, but the fair ends tomorrow some time so if I can just get through whatever antics go down tonight, things should settle down again.

I am starting to feel like I am living in a combination zoo and three ring circus. As many people my age complain, “I’m getting too old for this  #*%@!!!”!

At least this is supposed to be the final day of heat for a while. There is that! 

No comments: