…..the Manhattan location burger restaurant, not Wyoming!
After a lazy morning, (after a great catch up sleep), we skipped breakfast so we could walk a few blocks to Jackson Hole restaurant to try their famous burgers. We decided to arrive as soon as they opened at 11am as the place is notoriously crowded there by noon and today was no exception by the looks of things when we left just prior to that time.
So…..nobody other than a heavy duty construction worker or sumo wrestler, (or my unbreakfasted starving husband, poor guy), needs a ten ounce burger! hahaha I knew they were large so ordered mine sans bun, and replaced the copious amount of fries with what turned out to be a copious amount of onion rings, so I ended up leaving a fair amount of food on my plate. Felt badly wasting it, but medium cooked burgers tend to be crumbly and don’t save over very well. And have you ever tried to re-crisp an onion ring? Yikes!
I have finally accepted that most restaurants here do not season their burgers with much more than a dash of salt, so while the cook on my burger was perfect, I got more flavour from the yummy toppings than the burger itself….again! I give up. These topping were delicious and I ate all of them: decent slice of cheese, not the usual “American cheese”, which is nothing more than uncoloured edible oil product like the old Kraft cheese slices, a goodly amount of combined chopped tomato, dark green lettuce, dill pickle and bacon, topped with a huge pile of crispy fried onion strips. I could have eaten a whole bowl of that plus some onion rings and skipped the meat altogether, hahaha. Guess I prefer our smaller, overly salted Canadian burgers and I definitely prefer Canadian pizzas. 🍕 American pizzas, particularly the thin crust versions usually, with a few exceptions like Rocky’s, tend to be horrible. Little schmears of tomato or pesto sauce with bits of barely recognizable chopped up toppings and a sprinkling of cheese. Blecch! We tried a slice from Spoton Pizza last night, but preferred the considerably tastier Rocky’s slices…more topping, less sodium.
I am grateful that tonight we will enjoy a Rosh Hashanah dinner with our daughter-in-law’s family. I am happy that I found a gift bag and tissue wrap at Duane Reade pharmacy down the street so our hostess gifts of honey, apples and pomegranates are ready to go.
I was bemoaning the fact that we are leaving in a couple of days, but my husband reminded me that the September sumo tournament starts the night before our flight, so at least we will have something fun to watch on tv for a half hour each day while we recover from this trip. Watching sumo will keep our minds off the surrounding prairie landscape just a wee bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment